Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Delta Credit Limit Increase for trip

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx Delta Credit Limit Increase for trip

I applied for and was accepted for the delta American express card. I am interested in taking a trip out of the country shortly, but my credit limit is $1,000 while my flight is slightly under $800. Has anyone had success getting a credit limit increase before the 61 day rule with the excuse that they needed a higher limit to cover the airline bill?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx Delta Credit Limit Increase for trip

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for and was accepted for the delta American express card. I am interested in taking a trip out of the country shortly, but my credit limit is $1,000 while my flight is slightly under $800. Has anyone had success getting a credit limit increase before the 61 day rule with the excuse that they needed a higher limit to cover the airline bill?

Yes, as plenty of folks here have been able to get increases at time of activation. The 61 day rule is pretty much non-existent.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval. TBH it may be a temp limit if you hit the option to use the card now so that it revealed your card number. But.....a lot of ended up with $1k being the SL and actual limit upon activation. I've had my card 15 months now at $1k No CLI at activation, no 3x, every CLI every 91 days was denied also. My next try is coming up in 2 weeks...Funny thing just approved for $8.4k on Hilton card with Amex. Best of luck on a CLI...Being realistic with a lot of what I've seen on that Delta card. I would still charge the trip if you find that upon activation it's not increased... Amex usually reports slow...I would pay most of that off within 60 days before it reports

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied the CLI and I only asked for 2k. Most trips I would use delta for would be between $14-1800 so this $1k CL will probably not end up getting much use.

odd though, when I called in about an increase they said they would put in for the increase. He then transferred me to another operator to verify if I was denied or not for the increase. The 2nd operator stated that the increase was denied. I then get an email stating that they have finished reviewing and to call a number to get the answer. I call the number and its automated system tells me it doesnt even see a CLI  attempted on this account so I ask for an operator. He says he sees me asking for the CLI today but it still says its pending but can transfer me to another rep from the limit increase department who can give me an immediate answer. They claimed I was denied. Reason being, the card has not been active for 60 days. What a run around. at least amex can get their info in order so that everyone can be on one accord and let know i applied and was denied without speaking to so many departments and automated services.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was my exact experience on my last CLI attempt. It said denied on the screen. Got a email to call...Which I thought was hey they are letting me "recon" this. Nope it was someone that wanted to ask me questions about why I wanted the increase..I told them about a trip in January where I was buying the tickets for everyone together. They said oh we just wanted to know, but the denial isn't reversed. SO of course I got mad, this was a call just to talk to me? Now they are sending these upgrade emails and letters, upgrade my a.., that $195 would be 20% of my limit with no cushion every year

Message 5 of 12
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Amex can be weird sometimes.  There are alot of posts on here about starting lines on their products being stuck at the 500 or 1k. The theory is borderline approval, who knows.  Good luck next time!!  They will come around and enjoy your trip.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 6 of 12
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, as plenty of folks here have been able to get increases at time of activation. The 61 day rule is pretty much non-existent.

This is very much incorrect. I have twice been denied from amex this year for a CLI and the letter just states account must be opened for 60 days before credlit line increase.

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 7 of 12
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is very much incorrect. I have twice been denied from amex this year for a CLI and the letter just states account must be opened for 60 days before credlit line increase.

I applied for an Amex ED back in May '15 and was approved for 3K. Received the card then applied for an increase right after activation and was granted $9K. So, it's a YMMV situation, not something that is "very much incorrect"

..and FYI:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Thanks-Amex-Blue-Cash-Preferred-CLI-at-activation/td-p/4441983

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Amex-3x-CLI-on-card-activation/td-p/3844940

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 8 of 12
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@awp317 wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for an Amex ED back in May '15 and was approved for 3K. Received the card then applied for an increase right after activation and was granted $9K. So, it's a YMMV situation, not something that is "very much incorrect"

..and FYI:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Thanks-Amex-Blue-Cash-Preferred-CLI-at-activation/td-p/4441983

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Amex-3x-CLI-on-card-activation/td-p/3844940

yes YMMV but saying the "61 day rule is very much dead" is not the correct way to put that. I have heard you can get CLI on activation, but OP is not at activation here and IMO would be best to wait the 61 days. 99% of the time if your too early it goes pending then they ask you to call them and when you call them they inform you that the account is to new. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you going to be pretty much charging the trip and then paying it off? I got an SPG in March with a CL of $1k. I would use the "Check Spending Power" option to see if it would go through. As long as the card was a zero balance, it was never an issue when I was preparing for a $1.2-$1.5k hotel purchase. So while that would push me over my limit, I would usually just pay within the next day after it posted. 61 days later, I was able to finally get an AmEx CLI to $2k. Got my first 3x this past November to $6k. 

My Gold Delta is still at $1k (as I don't really use it but to avoid baggage costs (saved $650 this year!)), but it holds a zero balance and it's "Spend Power" at the moment is $2k. Of course, my amounts won't be the same as yours, but hopefully that can get you pass that purchase restriction. That would also show them that your balance does not meet your spending needs. 

Good luck and congratulations on the approval!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.