Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Starwood SPG SP approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Starwood SPG SP approval

Congrats!  

I never realized that was the trick, as it turns out I'm pre-approved for everything.  <chants to self>I will stay in the garden.  I will stay in the garden.  I will stay in the garden.  I will stay in the garden....

Message 11 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update...

Must be my work computer, I tried from my mobile phone and got 3 cards. All say "expanding...."

I do have a "pre-qualified" offer that I am interested in when I look for pre-quals. Delta Gold Amex with 35,000 points after the 1st $1,000 spend. Just received my PRG and it's only 25,000 points after $2K.

Don't want to derail the topic too much, but by chance do you also log into other Amex accounts from that computer?  I've run into issues with pages within the Amex site numerous times on my work computer because I of course log into my account, but also the company credit card, and the company's numerous Amex merchant accounts.  Clearing browser cookies will fix it.  I prefer not to do that, so using different browsers for different account or using incognito mode should do the trick.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats 🍾🎉🎊🎈. The more you learn about the point redemption value of Starpoints, the more valuable you understand this card is. Fantastic travel card. 

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats 🍾🎉🎊🎈. The more you learn about the point redemption value of Starpoints, the more valuable you understand this card is. Fantastic travel card. 

Seriously!  SPG is one of my daily drivers due to the fact that I get 3 Marriott points per dollar on it.  I've racked up well over 100k Marriott points in the last year with it.   And I stay at SPG\Marriott properties almost exclusively but I transfer almost everything to Marriott points.  So at a Marriott property I'm earning 7+ points per dollar and at a Starwood property I'm earning 4 SPG\12 Marriott points per dollar spent. 

This card is a rockstar!

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Update...

Must be my work computer, I tried from my mobile phone and got 3 cards. All say "expanding...."

I do have a "pre-qualified" offer that I am interested in when I look for pre-quals. Delta Gold Amex with 35,000 points after the 1st $1,000 spend. Just received my PRG and it's only 25,000 points after $2K.

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not but there is a better offer that existing Delta Gold Cardmembers can refer you to. I know I used it with my wife and she got something like 55k miles for 2k spend in 3 months plus 5k miles for 1k spend in 6 months

Message 15 of 21
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Lol same here. I didn't realize it either and preapproved for everything. Real tempting
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! AMEX gave me my highest starting limit with the SPG Card (18.6K) a little under a year ago - I love my SPG card! Welcome to the club :-)

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K in Boston

Yes, I do sign into Amex for my corporate card from my work computer. I think that is the issue. Not that I would be looking for additional cards under my company, but I don't get the same error response when I try this from that account.

Message 18 of 21
Dave4fun
Regular Contributor

I wanted to extend a special Thank You to Mandm5698 for asking the question on how to see the "Offers" from American Express. I was somewhat familiar with the process to find the featured three cards Amex was offering for my profile, but I never knew how everyone saw "You are Preapproved" for one of the cards. It was 'MrMike' and 'K in Boston' that addressed the question and claerly pointed out in the details on how to find the preapprovals. I did not know one had to actually click on the Apply button to see if you are Pre-Approved.

So, "Whahhlaahh!", Lo and Behold the 3 offers for me are pre-approved and then there were even more when I clicked on more offers. So many choices! All, with just a Soft Pull.

I will need to start a thread on how this goes for me. Which ones to choose. I currently have the Blue Everyday and the Nostalgic Platinum Optima. 

Thanks again to "K" and MrMike!

FICO 8 EQ: 841, TU: 842, EX: 842 Total Rev CL: $547,000 - CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/ USBANK/AMEX/COMENITY AMEX /BMO/NORDSTROM/MACYS/FNBO/ JCPENNY/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/SYNCHRONY/ VENMO VISA Sig/ DILLARDS AMEX/ PENFED PLAT REWARDS/PENFED PLOC/WELLS FARGO. AAoA 13 years
Message 19 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K in Boston

Yes, I do sign into Amex for my corporate card from my work computer. I think that is the issue. Not that I would be looking for additional cards under my company, but I don't get the same error response when I try this from that account.

Yes, same issue.  Somehow with the multiple cookies, things will get confused within the site.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Seriously!  SPG is one of my daily drivers due to the fact that I get 3 Marriott points per dollar on it.  I've racked up well over 100k Marriott points in the last year with it.   And I stay at SPG\Marriott properties almost exclusively but I transfer almost everything to Marriott points.  So at a Marriott property I'm earning 7+ points per dollar and at a Starwood property I'm earning 4 SPG\12 Marriott points per dollar spent. 

This card is a rockstar!

Yes on the Starwood being 4 (or 5, depending on elite status) total Starpoints per dollar, including at restaurants that code as being part of the hotel.  It's 2 points per dollar on the card and 2 or 3 points Starpoints per dollar for the stay (12 or 15 Marriott).  But the Marriott points per stay should be much more.  You earn the 2 Starpoints (6 Marriott points) for each dollar spent at Marriott, but should also earn an additional 10 points for all spend at the better Marriott properties (Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, etc.), 10 points for room rates at Ritz-Carlton and mid-level Marriott properties (Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn, etc.) and 5 points for room rates at "low-end" (I personally don't consider them low-end as I've certainly had my share of $400+/night rooms over the years at these) Residence Inn and Towneplace Suites.  Executive Apartments and Execustay are 2.5 points per dollar (and only 1 elite night per 3 nights stayed).  But of course elite status multiplies that, so with Gold Elite status I've been getting 12.5 points per dollar from Marriott and 6 points per dollar from Amex for a total of 18.5 points per dollar spent. (Platinum Elite would be a total of 21 points per dollar for most Marriott properties when paid with the SPG card.)

Considering I'm averaging over 2 cpp on Marriott redemptions, that's an extremely good return, with the caveat that in reality I'm only earning that for the cheaper rooms that are revenue bookings because all of my expensive hotel stays with the 4-digit nights are paid with points. Smiley Wink

Edit: Dave4fun, you posted while I was typing that novel. Smiley Wink  We're all here to help each other out.  I'm always a little envious when I see those old Optima cards; makes me nostalgic for when my green card (now Platinum) was still a specialized version of "The American Express Card" (before being changed to "green") with Membership Rewards as an additional feature.  Getting to your post, though, if you have a 740ish Experian FICO 08 score, unless there's something I'm missing about your profile you should have ZERO problems being approved for any American Express card offered to the public (sorry, Centurion Card is still invite-only).

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.