cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Visa Card question - Update: Approved!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Visa Card question - Update: Approved!

Hello!
I have a total of 4 credit cards. 3 of them are small ones from more than a 1 year ago. The 4th one is a Discover IT I got approved for yesterday, 14k SL! The same day, yesterday, I had applied for a credit union card, I was denied due to having, high amounts of student loans, that’s when myFICO forums suggested I do Discover, which worked out great.
Anyway, I still want another good card, and since I do a lot of amazon, I wanted to try them. Like I said, I have 4 cards total now, EX 654, EQ and TU are 754. My EQ and TU both dropped around 13 points because of the hard pulls from yesterday. Discover pulled EX and EQ, the CU pulled TU only.
Question: what credit report is amazon visa most likely to pull living in Seattle? I don’t want to do it if it’s EX only. Also, how far apart should I be applying for cards? I hopefully want another big SL card that more likely would not HP EX. Also, on my credit report it is not reporting I got a new 14k card. Should I activate the card before I apply to other cards?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Visa Card question

If you want the Amazon card you need to get it before you get any other card. It is issued by Chase which has a rule  called 5/24. You will be auto declined if you have opened 5 or more cards in the last 24 months. All cards count, not just Chase cards. Right now you seem to be at 4/24 which is good.

Also you live in Seattle WA and you want credit cards? Get used to people pulling EX. That's just the way it is. (It goes back to CRA history of being regional companies). If you really want to manage your inquiries (They don't matter as much as people think) here is some places you can try:

BECU (great credit union) they have 1.5% cash back Visa. They pull TU

Synchrony Bank pulls TU. They mostly deal in store cards like the Amazon store card (not the Chase Visa version) but they have some Visa and MC too like the Paypal MC that's 2% cash back. They have other cards too.

Key Bank pulls EQ. They have 2% cash back card but you need to bank with them. Otherwise its 1.5%.

That's it from memory. You can search here to find others.

But all the major pull EX if you live in the PNW. Chase, Bank of America, Citibank, Wells Fargo, American Express.

Honestly unless you are going app crazy inquiries are overblown. I have double digit and have never been denied for inquiries. There are banks like Barclays or US Bank that think 3 is too much for them. So always search before you app. Good luck.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase usually pulls two bureaus, EX and one other.  For me, the other has been EQ but that usually varies by region.  I don't know how they score based on the 2 pulls though... they might take the lower of the 2, or the higher, or some sort of aggregate.  I'd garden for a few months and let your accounts age and get scores up some before applying again.  Chase sometimes denies if there are too many inquires or recent apps even under 5/24 if scores are low.

Since you have 4 cards now under 2 years, if you apply for another it would have to be a Chase card, otherwise you would no longer be approved for a Chase card until at least one tradeline passes 2 years.

You could also go for broke and apply, the worst that will happen is they'll say no.  Or they might say yes but give you a small limit.  If they say no, you can wait a few months for your scores to bounce back and try again (though you'll incur a hard pull each time).

Another option would be the Amazon store card by Synchrony.  This one is probably easier to get approved for than the Chase Visa, but it's only usable on Amazon.  It offers the same cash back benefits as the Chase card though, for Prime members anyway.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went ahead and applied, the last card I’m going to apply in a long time. It says an immediate decision could not be made, they will notify me by mail. Should I call them?
Message 4 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, this is typically standard when Chase applications go into pending mode requiring further review.

You can call the automated system to periodically check the status of your application.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them, lady said it’s gone to fraud division. I’m assuming they need verification of identity. That division was closed today, so I’ll call tomorrow. Seems like they only HP EX, which is my lower score unfortunately.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verified my identity. Approved for 5k!
I guess it’s ok, really wanted a big SL like the Discover it 14k!
Gardening for me now!
Message 7 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, dont let that Discover go to your headSmiley Wink. That was not a normal sl lol, they just happened to select you for Temple Gaurdian statusSmiley Happy

5k from Chase is very good, at least to us lower beingsSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Verified my identity. Approved for 5k!
I guess it’s ok, really wanted a big SL like the Discover it 14k!
Gardening for me now!

Congrats! That’s a good limit for your EX score (mid 600s). Get your EX over 700 and ask for CLI. I think Chase CLI are soft pulls but I’m not sure. Check the “approvals”. section to confirm

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.