Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Visa Rewards Approved!

tag
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Re: Amazon Visa Rewards Approved!

@longtimelurker wrote:

True.  But if you know you will spend a lot on Amazon at various times in the year, the thing to do is buy $750 Amazon gift certificates on Amazon.com each month with your Sallie Mae (for as long as you desire).  Then when you buy something, you can indeed split payments between the gift certs and your favorite credit card.  Not everyone will want to tie up money this way, but for frequent heavy shoppers this gives a good discount.  

What is the reward redeption like for the Sallie Mae card out of curiousity?

Message 21 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Not very extensive, basically statement credit with a minimum of $25.  You can also get your sallie mae loan account credited.

Message 22 of 36
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not very extensive, basically statement credit with a minimum of $25.  You can also get your sallie mae loan account credited.

Regardless definitely a great option.  Even better for someone that also spends <$250 per month on gas/groceries.  

Message 23 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker, so amazon gift cards count towards 5% as well? Is that true for US bank too? I somehow had the impression gift cards purchases were coded differently since it was sold by a subsidiary of amazon, rather than amazon directly.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
@longtimelurker, so amazon gift cards count towards 5% as well? Is that true for US bank too? I somehow had the impression gift cards purchases were coded differently since it was sold by a subsidiary of amazon, rather than amazon directly.

I bought some with my Forward and got 5%, but I guess they are known to be less specific than some others.   I will try with Sallie Mae and let you know!

Message 25 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

If you can update me on that I would really appreciate it! I'm having some issues with reaching 5% cap this quarter for discover, freedom and cash+ because I have to meet minimum spend on my new cards as well. If I could just max the categories out via gift cards that will be great.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 26 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
If you can update me on that I would really appreciate it! I'm having some issues with reaching 5% cap this quarter for discover, freedom and cash+ because I have to meet minimum spend on my new cards as well. If I could just max the categories out via gift cards that will be great.

Yes, it works, the $25 Amazon gift cert now shows as earning 125 points on my online statement for the Sallie Mae card.

Message 27 of 36
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! What bureau did they pull, btw?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 28 of 36
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

So you can use the sallie mae or us back on anything in the Amazon store? I have amazon prime and buy a lot off there.i wonder if either has 0% intro.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 29 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mountainmom wrote:
So you can use the sallie mae or us back on anything in the Amazon store? I have amazon prime and buy a lot off there.i wonder if either has 0% intro.

Various cards seem to have restrictions.  The Forward is the most forgiving (if it has amazon somewhere in the name it works, except probably for Amazon Payments).

I haven't used US Bank Cash Plus on Amazon.

Both have caps ($750 a month for SM, $2000 a quarter shared with the other 5% for US Bank).  Not sure about intro APR.

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.