cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express 3X?!!!

tag
Regular Contributor

American Express 3X?!!!

I'm a full-time student and my income is $20,000; however, American Express approved my request for $12,000, a 300% increase. I am surprised because my income is low, but my credit score is fairly high. I've only had credit cards for a year and a half now and I've never had a card over $10,000 before. This is a huge surprise. 

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express 3X?!!!

That's great! Congratulations!

I actually increased mine from $4,000 to $8,000 on Friday evening. I should've tried for $12,000 and I guess in my mind I wanted to play it safe? lol Oh well, next time I think I'll try and increase it to somewhere in the $16,000 - $20,000 range. The rest of my cards pale in comparison. Very low limits.

Message 2 of 9
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's great! Congratulations!

I actually increased mine from $4,000 to $8,000 on Friday evening. I should've tried for $12,000 and I guess in my mind I wanted to play it safe? lol Oh well, next time I think I'll try and increase it to somewhere in the $16,000 - $20,000 range. The rest of my cards pale in comparison. Very low limits.

Thank you! I followed the instructions here at FICO forum; the author of the thread suggested its readers to request 3X. It isn't a risk to ask for too much because they do counter offer.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 3 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

As long as you're mindful that credit isn't a blank check and has to be paid back you're good.  A good thing to get into the habit with things like AMEX is set your mental limit to 10-20% of the actual limit as a goal and PIF each month.  Of course you can carry a balance during the 0% but after that you'll eat up your rewards with the APR.  

Congrats on the increase!!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grats on the increase. Went from 5k to 10k to 25k while I was still 18 Smiley Happy 

Shooting for 40k after this month! 

Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Use credit responsibly and you find more often than not you can get much more than what you actually makeSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Amex increased mine from 4,000 to 7,000, and I didn't even request it! Must be the holidays coming up ( in my case lol). 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job youngster now don't mess it up like the majority of young people like myself did lol

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great job youngster now don't mess it up like the majority of young people like myself did lol

Thank you for making me LOL Smiley Happy I like to think of myself as young and I still messed up back in the day Smiley Indifferent

Great job on the CLI!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.