Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Acceptance after Chargeoff

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Acceptance after Chargeoff

I had a chargeoff for American Express some time ago and since then I have rebuilt my credit to even a $210k mortgage and some $120k in credit cards. I had received pre-approval letters from AMEX maybe 18 months ago in the mail but when I applied, I was denied.

Today I decided to check for a pre-quailification and there was one with an option from three cards, so I applied and was accepted, for only $2k, but I am back in the door. My last one was around $25k, chargeoff was for something like $5k

The funny part is that it says I have been a member since 2006. I was a little shocked at first because that means they have not forgotten.

Maybe it is past 7 years or something since the chargeoff.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Acceptance after Chargeoff

Congrats in getting back in with Amex!

From all the data I’ve gathered about their Blacklist is that $5K is the threshold for their minimum 10 year ban. Anything over $5K and the ban goes longer than 10 years.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting back in with them! 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting back in with Amex; they do have a long memory. When I was approved a couple of years ago Inhad forgotten about an old account until I saw the ‘Member since 1998’
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I filed for BK on them in 2010 and have rebuilt my file since but,  they still won't let me in.... I check and apply regularly but no dice. 

Message 5 of 14
drboxing
Established Contributor

I was in the same situation, filed BK 2006 and was just let back in 2017, my cards read member since 1994

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There has been a lot in our situation and got back in, so it is just a matter of time.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a CO in 2011 and settled for less than I owed.  I owed 2k and paid 1k.  I finally applied again for a card and recevied the Hilton card with a 5k SL.  I did file BK in 2012 but I already settled with AMEX before that.  It has been 5 1/2 years since I filed CH13 BK and I'm back.  

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome back.  Welcome back welcome back welcome back!  Kotter!!

Congratulations!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

To op- I too burned them for some money in my youth. I since have recovered to +/- 800 scores and 100k+ in cards.
So my questions to you are-
1. Did they officially backdate you or is your member since status all that's backdated?
2. Do you know what bureau(s) they pulled?
I was never going to reapply with them. But the possibility of somehow being backdated is intriguing. I think I got my first green card in 1992.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.