Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Approval Chances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Approval Chances?

I am very interested in applying for an Amex Charge Card... 

I am currently disputing several 120 day + lates on some old (paid off) student loans from back in 09-11'. Both of these appear on Equifax and TransUnion. NOT on Experian.

My Experian file is very clean (Score is 699 via myFICO), but my history is only 8 months old. I have excellent payment history being reported to all three bureaus and these accounts include; one Auto Loan, one Capital One card ($500 limit) and one store card ($2,000 limit) I acquired my store card in November of 2014 and my Capital One card in Sept of 2014. My utilization last reported 12% but it is now at 0%.

I have lower scores on my Equifax and TransUnion files - (640 & 648 via myFICO).

I do not have any baddies, but I do have lates from more than 3 years ago on student loans that are paid off.

I have 3 inquiries on my Experian file: Do I have any chance of getting approved for American Express Charge Card? Preferrably Green or Gold? I like to pay my balances in full each month. That is why I am interested in the Charge Cards. From what I was told by a representative at Amex, Charge Cards are geared towars people who are looking to establish, build or rebuild their credit.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Approval Chances?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently disputing several 120 day + lates on some old (paid off) student loans from back in 09-11'. Both of these appear on Equifax and TransUnion. NOT on Experian.

My Experian file is very clean (Score is 699 via myFICO), but my history is only 8 months old. I have excellent payment history being reported to all three bureaus and these accounts include; one Auto Loan, one Capital One card ($500 limit) and one store card ($2,000 limit) I acquired my store card in November of 2014 and my Capital One card in Sept of 2014. My utilization last reported 12% but it is now at 0%.

I have lower scores on my Equifax and TransUnion files - (640 & 648 via myFICO).

I do not have any baddies, but I do have lates from more than 3 years ago on student loans that are paid off.

I have 3 inquiries on my Experian file: Do I have any chance of getting approved for American Express Charge Card? Preferrably Green or Gold? I like to pay my balances in full each month. That is why I am interested in the Charge Cards. From what I was told by a representative at Amex, Charge Cards are geared towars people who are looking to establish, build or rebuild their credit.

Hmm, I'd wait a few months....I mean...You could probably get approved now though..

It's your decision Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 34
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

Amex would not approve me until I had over a year with history (I had 16month History when they approved me for all 4 of my Amex's within 2weeks) I dont think amexs care to much on Inquires(I had 15+ on my EXP file.) But if ir EXP is clean I would consider giving it a shot. although YMMV. If u really want it id say its worth risking a hard pull. If its a just cause or to have the card I would definitly wait.

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 3 of 34
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Did you check the Amex preapproval or link through creditcards? I would personally consider PRG for the signup bonus and downgrade after year 1.
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say go for it. I was recently approved for the BCE card and I had a 691 with 2 inq, several lates on my mortgage, and 0 charges/collections. 

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did try the Amex preapproval site and back in November it showed me the Costco Amex as well as the Amex Green from what I remember.  Before Christmas I was also sent a mailer for the Costco Amex, but is this because I have a Costco membership and not because I am pre-approved?  

I checked creditcards.com and it gave me several different pre-approvals for charge cards and several credit cards from Amex, but I do not put too much faith in this.  Credit Karma also says that I have a "Good" chance at getting approved for the Amex Everyday Credit Card.  Who knows if this is accurate...?  

When you say "wait for one year of history", does this mean with just my credit cards or with my whole file (auto and credit cards)?  Because my Capital One card is only 4 months old.  And my newest is 2 months old.  My auto loan is 8 months old. So should I apply in June?

I do not want to waste a hard pull and I want to be sure that I have a good shot.  I do not need the card.  I want the card.  Big difference.  Thanks! 

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did try the Amex preapproval site and back in November it showed me the Costco Amex as well as the Amex Green from what I remember.  Before Christmas I was also sent a mailer for the Costco Amex, but is this because I have a Costco membership and not because I am pre-approved?  

I checked creditcards.com and it gave me several different pre-approvals for charge cards and several credit cards from Amex, but I do not put too much faith in this.  Credit Karma also says that I have a "Good" chance at getting approved for the Amex Everyday Credit Card.  Who knows if this is accurate...?  

When you say "wait for one year of history", does this mean with just my credit cards or with my whole file (auto and credit cards)?  Because my Capital One card is only 4 months old.  And my newest is 2 months old.  My auto loan is 8 months old. So should I apply in June?

I do not want to waste a hard pull and I want to be sure that I have a good shot.  I do not need the card.  I want the card.  Big difference.  Thanks! 

Not accurate. AMEX rarely pulls TU.

Message 7 of 34
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

CK .. shakes head

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you have a chance. A co-worker has similar profile like yours and she got approved for a Blue Cash.  If your EX file is clean, you should try and see. If they denied you then you should try again in 90 days.

Message 9 of 34
taxi818
Super Contributor

@lukepwnsall wrote:

Amex would not approve me until I had over a year with history (I had 16month History when they approved me for all 4 of my Amex's within 2weeks) I dont think amexs care to much on Inquires(I had 15+ on my EXP file.) But if ir EXP is clean I would consider giving it a shot. although YMMV. If u really want it id say its worth risking a hard pull. If its a just cause or to have the card I would definitly wait.

i think you are fine if you are just going for a charge card. i had AAOA of 5 months. and my oldest account was 10 months at the time. if they can't see the baddies. then you will be ok. also i had 9 inquiries. and 12 new accounts. so no issue.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.