Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Blue Everday Cash Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Blue Everday Cash Card

Hi I'm trying to apply for the American Express BCE card and wonder if I would get approved. My credit score on all three TN, Eq, Ex show 723. Here's my credit history

I have the following cards,

Capitol one platinum secured - 500 limit
Opened 1 year 6 months ago

Capitol one quick silver - 1500 limit
Opened 7 months ago

First premier bank master card - 500 limit
Opened 7 months ago

Macy's store card - 1200 limit
Opened 4 months ago - soft credit check

Discover card - 3000 limit
Opened 2 months ago

Barclays Apple rewards card - 3500 limit
Opened 2 months ago

For my discover card I have 950 dollar balance out of 3000 I'm paying off purposely not in full to build my credit more.

All my other cards I don't use them even if.

I have no collections, no BK's, no debt - clear

I'm fairly new to credit history as you can see my oldest card is about 18 months old and I have opened 5 credit cards in the last 2 years.

What are my odds for getting approved?? Should I wait it out possibly til next year?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Blue Everday Cash Card

It appears your good to go. But you never know.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a pretty good chance at approval I'd say.  Maybe only $1000 SL, but I think you have a good chance of getting in.

One thing though, you're running about 31-32% utilization on your Discover card and you said you're doing it on purpose to build credit.  Keeping a high balance like that doesn't do anything but HURT your credit.  Take that balance down to a 2-digit number and you'll be reporting a low single-digit utilization which will be optimal for maximizing your credit score if you have zero balances across all of your other cards.  This should put your overall utilization at 1% which would be ideal.  You could sqeak out a 730 score by doing this, and it's just a better "look" to Amex if you apply with little to no utilization on your current cards.   Carrying a balance doesn't do anything but cost you money in interest; it doesn't build your credit.  Simply using your revolvers, keeping utilization low and making on time payments month after month is what builds your score. 

Message 3 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi I'm trying to apply for the American Express BCE card and wonder if I would get approved. My credit score on all three TN, Eq, Ex show 723.

It's never just about score but if you want to know where you stand score-wise with a given product then you need to know the scoring model & CRA used in the decision for that product and then go pull that score.  Scores based on other models and/or other CRA's will not be relevant in the creditor's decision.  You can use tools such as the Credit Pulls Database (Google to find) and existing threads to research this stuff.

What are the model(s) for the scores you mention?  IIRC, AmEx uses an Experian FICO 8.

@Anonymous wrote:
I have no collections, no BK's, no debt - clear

That's good but you have 4 new accounts and that's a fair bit of new credit which is a consideration as well.

@Anonymous wrote:
For my discover card I have 950 dollar balance out of 3000 I'm paying off purposely not in full to build my credit more.

You never need to carry a balance on a revolving account for scoring purposes or to build credit.  It sounds like you're confusing carrying a balance with allowing a balance to report.  You don't want all of your revolving accounts to report 0 balances as there is a hit for that.  However, you can pay every statement balance in full and a balance will report.  Whether a balance reports or not is a matter of when you pay versus the report date.  Most cards report on statement date.  If you wait for the statement to generate and pay the statement balance in full by the due date then the statement balance would have reported on the statement date and your payment would not impact the reported balance.

From a revolving utilziation perspective, 950 / 3000 is 32%.  General advice is do not exceed 30% but even 30% is far from ideal.  Lower is generally better but you can drop your revolving utilization just prior to applying for new credit, requesting CLI's, requesting APR reductions, etc.  You don't need to constantly keep it extremely low.  Just generally aim to keep it at 30% or less.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm fairly new to credit history as you can see my oldest card is about 18 months old and I have opened 5 credit cards in the last 2 years.

What are my odds for getting approved?? Should I wait it out possibly til next year?

18 months is a very short credit history and 5 new accounts is a lot of new account for such a credit profile.  Let your new accounts age before considering applying for anything else and carefully consider your credit card applications.  Don't get caught up in the excitement of approvals.  Make sure you're starting off by carefully analyzing your needs/wants including your spend.  Use that info to determine which cards suit you best.  With the BCE, for example, are the bonus categories really major spend categories for you?  Have you run the numbers for your spend to determine the rewards that you would stand to get?  Have you carefully compared the numbers versus the BCP?  Don't just at the AF.  Consider total cost/benefit.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband was approved in July for a BCE and his Experian was 650 at the time. He also had four negatives on his account (3 30 day late student loan payments and poor payment history with a Wells Fargo card that was closed by the bank, but he paid it fully off. All of that was right before he met me, and that's been about 2 1/2 years now. 

He does have a little over 5 years AAoC and his oldest account I believe is 10+ years.

Since then, he had no credit cards and only installment loans that are student loans (grad student). Applied for that and a Discover IT card and got both. For the Discover, his TU score was 667. 

His BCE is $1,000 and Discover is $1,500.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved guys for 2000. I also opened an account with Wells Fargo personal checking for 5000 and business account for 5000 then I applied for the cash wise credit card and got denied. Well I asked them to reconsider so they will re evaluate it and get back to me. Fingers crossed!
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess they didn't see I had just opened an account with them as well.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats on the approval !!! probably time to start taking it easy. let all these cards you've opened up recently grow.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every file us different. If I pay off my cards, which I do, I lose 15-30 points the next time it reports. If I leave a small Balance I gain points and CLI's. Very weird in my case.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense but you might want to SLOW the heck, down @Sharaby

You're not allowing any time to age your accounts
You're getting low level approvals...no doubt and that can be addictive BUT

You'll begin to put yourself in low limit - starter terms hell and be in 'that track' vs having waited and been approved as an A-lister

I hope this makes sense
There are times when a institution/school whatever will let you but you're looked at as a 'scholarship' case for quite some time vs having waited and come through the VIP door a few months later to be offered better terms and larger SL from the start.

What's done, is done just trying to impress for you and others why it maybe time to get your overalls on a grow the TLs you have by tending to your garden vs mapping for even MORE credit.

You're starting to look thirsty....

It doesn't matter if you opened an account or not, Wells isn't some Mom N Pop CU in Mayberry...it's a disciplined financial institution and if the internal UW guidelines say avoid a potentially RISKY situation, a few bucks in an account ain't gonna change their minds
BofA
Wells
Chase
Are who they are by Ducking risk, not running TO it

An UWer might approve you for, again a starter account, but if they manual review their gonna wonder WHAT you're doing with all the young accounts and probably want to see how you manage them how you juggle what you have before their conservative butts get in line BEHIND all the stuff you have now.

That's the way the big banks think.. they ain't looking to chance it, just the way it is

Either way IMO itd be best to stop BEGGING for credit at every turn, cause that's not a good look especially when you haven't established an AGED history of paying back and low usage and only TIME can help you there

You've got half a dozen cards within the last 18 months or a card on avg every 90 days
.. conservative vendors and risk evaluation can only start to ask What's the deal?

Where is this going?

Which plate DROPS 1st? We don't want it to be US?

That's what's going on in a UWers head
Trust me many UWers would look for a reason to
deny a file like yours just to CYA because of all the recent activity with no solid history managing those accounts.
Even a 'cool' UWer would have to be cautious and error on a safe low CL with bank favorable terms.

I don't share this to 'hate' I'm just sharing with you guys what goes on around the water cooler, when it's your job to evaluate and sign off on apps
Knowing they are tracked back to you and if your rate of default is a bit higher, you got some splaining to do

It's easier to just say NO....come back in 6 months vs attaching a marginal file to your hip

This is why I tell folks grab the best cards you can get upfront in your rebuild then be careful who and what you app for to avoid denials and worst yet marginal approvals because some places will always 'see' you as a non VIP if you app to early.

Is it better to barely get into Standford and be an outreach student or transfer in later as a highly coveted junior college graduate...?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.