Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Credit Limit Increase!

tag
800who
Regular Contributor

American Express Credit Limit Increase!

I just got a CLIon my BCE today being six months and a few days since my last, I went from $6,000 to $18,000 instantly approved and I wanted to know how high should I or can I go for next time... I know the 3x rule every six month with amex, but on a side note what's the rule with discover and their CLI?

Thanks!Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express Credit Limit Increase!

Congratulations on your Amex increase!

Discover has no hard rule, you can ask every week if you want to, it's a SP. On average, it seems every 3-6 months for a CLI for most, although there are outliers. People have called in and gotten a larger CLI with Discover by approving a HP, too. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!! Discover is pretty generous with their CLI's in my experience.  I have one of my discover cards up to 47k after a starting limit of 4k in 2012.  I asked them all the time and they kept giving them to me, lol.  They don't do hard inquiries that I have ever seen, so whats the worst the can happen? Ask and you may receive!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may run in to income verification requests at around $35,000 with American Express.

Message 4 of 14
800who
Regular Contributor

is there a set... chart or conversion hahaha of how much your income needs to be compared to your CL? Does age have a factor at all, I was surprised to get the limit seeing I am only 19.

Message 5 of 14
avp99
Frequent Contributor

Wow!  congratulations... that CLI is nothing short of beautiful Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats Smiley Happy

Disco is the wild west, you might score big or you might get robbed , all depends on your perspectiveSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on 3x CLI

Message 8 of 14
800who
Regular Contributor

thank you for all the congrats however, does anyone have another thread talking about discovers CLI? and anymore insight on my amex credit limit and how far I should go with my limit on it... in six months when I can request another increase I don't think I should try for 54,000 hahah.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

is the income related questions related to one card at 35K or is it all your cards combined?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.