Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Credit Limit Increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Credit Limit Increase

I have had my american express card for 10 months now, and I kept requesting a credit limit inrease. I asked every 61 days, (that is what I was told by 3 chat agents to do, but recently they all have said 91 days) I was denied and I waited 91 days this time, and I finally got an increase. I started with 1000, and I requested 3000 for the increase. (I wasn't even excited about it tbh, I knew I was going to be denied) I did not get the full amount I asked for, but I actually don't care, higher limits are nice but this is just my grocery card anyways so the counter offer of 2000 was plenty for me right now.

I guess I will see what happens in 6 months with another increase, I don't need more since I have other cards for my other purchases, but if they gave me 5000 that would be nice since I do put the occasional 600 to 800 purchase through it.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Credit Limit Increase

Congrats on your CLI !!!!!

try again in 181 days

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I definitely will be applying again at that time. I already have a reminder in my phone set so I don't forget. So far out of all my credit increases this one made me the happiest. Probably because every time I have asked any of my cards for an increase I have always gotten it. (so far anyways). After many denials they finally gave it to me though, this is probably not the case but I wonder if it was because I had never let them report a balance? I had been using the card a lot, but I just never let them report anything. I noticed that last month and decided to let them report and now I got my increase. (probably not why I got my increase, that is just where my brain went)

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt that had much to do with it - they make more in swipe fees than interest off of you. I’m assuming it’s your first card with them. Anecdotal evidence suggests new account holders will wait longer to see CLIs than established members because AmEx scores each cardholder internally and wants to get to know your spend and payment habits before opening the vault. Congrats on getting your increase and it’ll likely be easier from here on.
Message 4 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy 2x is always better than 1x, simple Fico mathSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I doubt that had much to do with it - they make more in swipe fees than interest off of you. I’m assuming it’s your first card with them. Anecdotal evidence suggests new account holders will wait longer to see CLIs than established members because AmEx scores each cardholder internally and wants to get to know your spend and payment habits before opening the vault. Congrats on getting your increase and it’ll likely be easier from here on.

This is my first card with them, and what you stated is more then likely true. I was just trying to think of some possible reason for the increase because nothing has changed in my file. I guess it makes sense though, if they need to see my habits first before giving me any increase in credit.

Message 6 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Income is very important to Amex, but relationship is too. They like to see how you use their card before really opening up the vault
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, they have their own internal scoring algorithm that plays a role in card and increase approvals. Once they’re satisfied, if your profile supports an increase, you’ll get it.

I waited until 90-something days to try for my 61-day and was also declined. It’s fairly common for those of us with starter limits in the $1k range to need 6 months or more with AmEx before they’ll increase us. In my case I can ask again around June 3rd but will wait til into July because I have a derog that will be excluded from my EX report at the beginning of July. Once it’s gone and my scores adjust, and I see the adjustment reflected in my score in the Amex Account app, I’ll ask then. More points and a baddie deleted will strengthen my case.
Message 8 of 15
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Congrats! It’ll keep going up—have no fear. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 15
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the CLI!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.