Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold Card approval 4th time a charm

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Gold Card approval 4th time a charm

Got Rose Gold Edition
50K MR after 2k spend sign up with the 20%back .. it says in paperwork that for the payover time feature I have a $15,000 limit. For my Platnium card don’t have that option. Anyone use this feature before ?

Originally applied back in beginning of October for the card was auto denied. Applied again beginning of November got same thing auto denial. Tried again towards end of November this time got 7-10 message, then a day later got denial. Called to try and recon couple days later got letter saying they are sticking with Their decision and denied me. All 3 times I applied it said apply to extend your membership in my account but did not apply while logged in, applied using VPN other computers to get the 50k sign up. Then last weekend about 2 weeks from the last denial, I see this time it says I am pre approved for the card this time. Logged into another computer to get the 50k MR points 2k since my pre approval again only for the 25k. Hit submit and get 7-10 message again. Then 3 days letter get email congrats you are approved ! Finally
Now really time to garden with now this will be 9 new accounts added this year.
16 REPLIES 16
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Gold Card approval 4th time a charm

Congrats!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 17
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!!

Smiley Happy

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex Gold Card approval.

However, I can't help but think that you could have gotten the card earlier.  Financial institutions use geo-location to verify your address so if you use VPN and the lender's verification procedure indicates that the application is not coming from the same location as your IP address and your physical address, in most cases you will be denied.  Currently its very easy to get the 50K Membership Rewards points (Gold). or 75K MR (Platinum) simply by opening Amex's website in Incognito or Private mode so there's really no need to use VPN or other such methods.

Message 4 of 17
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex approval!

SspW.gif

Message 6 of 17
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Congratulations !!

It is a very pretty card. Did you get Rose or Standard Gold ?

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone !
Got rose gold edition.
Message 8 of 17
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

However, I can't help but think that you could have gotten the card earlier.  Financial institutions use geo-location to verify your address so if you use VPN and the lender's verification procedure indicates that the application is not coming from the same location as your IP address and your physical address, in most cases you will be denied.  Currently its very easy to get the 50K Membership Rewards points (Gold). or 75K MR (Platinum) simply by opening Amex's website in Incognito or Private mode so there's really no need to use VPN or other such methods.

First, congrats on the approval!!!

Question-- can anyone confirm or deny the above (that credit card issuers will routinely deny based solely on IP to geo location mismatch)?

I travel a lot and I almost never end up applying when I am at home. I don't think I have had any issues.

It would seem to me a bit excessive for a bank to deny someone only because they see their physical address in let's say New York state but their browset IP is originating from California at the time of the application.

Anyone has had such an experience?

Thanks in advance!

Message 9 of 17
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

What were the prior reasons for your denial?  Based on your scores and other limits, I would think this would have been a breeze.  Do you have a prior BK or any other Baddies?

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.