Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express.

OMG,  I've tried so many times over and over again for an American Express and finally got it tonight. Starting line 500.00 and now they are telling me how to earn a higher credit line in 5 payments.  My advise to new credit seekers is don't have to many store cards.  Only go for Bank cards more value and points.  I closed out 20 store cards before AX would look at it. They said I had to many open accounts at first.  So happy. Thanks AX.  

EQ 615, TU 635, EU 639.   

Bring it on home.  Got my eyes on Discover now.  Soon very soon.  

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express.

Congrats on the approval!  I have been shutting down by store cards  currently holding on to a few just for utilization...but will close the remainder out as CLIs occur...

Message 2 of 40
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Big congrats! There seems to be a growing trend with Amex that 630 + can get you in recently. If i were a rebuilder again id definitely go for Amex before a store card, as the potential to grow is massiveSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought Amex smallest line was $1000?!? Guess not. Congrats! I started at $1k myself-Amex will grow if you do good thing and treat them good.
If you don't know about it read the 3X CLI thread. Should be able to get a $1500 line on day 61. Sometimes the smaller lines don't get it tho.
Either way congrats again.
Message 4 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a good EX score to apply for the Hilton Honors AMEX, SPG AMEX or Delta Airlines AMEX? 
Right now EX score is 658.

Message 5 of 40
iowe
Regular Contributor

I agree. I wish I could've gotten that card instead of the usaa secured. When I close the card I still have to wait for a CD to mature to get my deposit back. ☹️

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 6 of 40
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Spintech33 I want to say you have a good shot. I would check the credit pulls database to see how others in your range fared. Scott2696, congrats on getting your foot in the door!
Message 7 of 40
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Congrats OP. I too started with the Amex ED card in Feb. with a 638 FICO 8 EX score, SL $500, $50,000 income, 9 baddies remaining on report, util 1%, total credit limits: $41,500. I'm sure you're aware, but you have to let the statement close with a balance to qualify for the increase by the 5th statement. I wasn't able to get any sign up bonus either. So, that's the downfall with starting at $500, but since I'm in rebuild mode, it's not a big deal to me. Also, for some reason, I couldn't make a payment within the first 30 days, but immediately after the first statement cut, I was able to. Not that I know for sure, but I don't think the 3x CLI in 61 days will work for us, I'll test it out on April 20th to verify. Once again, congrats on the approval! We have our toe in the door! :-)
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Spintech33 I want to say you have a good shot. I would check the credit pulls database to see how others in your range fared. Scott2696, congrats on getting your foot in the door!

Looks like I'm in the door. I received the congratulations and to set up my user name and information..

@I may need to call in for my credit line. Honestly, I won't see a 5K CLI.. Right now my UTI is in the 40% range.. No baddies since 2013. Income @ 60K.

I've been trying to improve and get back to the 30% and below on my UTI. I'm really praying that I can do this before the end of the year or beginning of 2018.

Message 9 of 40
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats! You should see your credit line as soon as you log in.
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.