Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express

Well low and behold, I was surely surprised by what I pulled off. Trust me I'm not complaining what so ever. So I end up applying for the AMEX Platinum only to be approved. After reviewing all the perks involved and reading different blogs I said to myself, " I wonder what would happen if I applied for the AMEX Gold ". So two days after getting approved for the Plat I pulled the trigger on the AMEX GOLD and Waaaa Laaaa I was approved again...So the question is has anyone attempted this before in such short period of time....?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: American Express

@Anonymous wrote:
Well low and behold, I was surely surprised by what I pulled off. Trust me I'm not complaining what so ever. So I end up applying for the AMEX Platinum only to be approved. After reviewing all the perks involved and reading different blogs I said to myself, " I wonder what would happen if I applied for the AMEX Gold ". So two days after getting approved for the Plat I pulled the trigger on the AMEX GOLD and Waaaa Laaaa I was approved again...So the question is has anyone attempted this before in such short period of time....?

I think Amex is glad to get the $800 in annual fees they just made on this.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

But the perks along for both cards off set the annual fee..
Message 3 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes it has been done. If you can use all the perks, enjoySmiley Happy
Message 4 of 28
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I got my two AMEX cards within a little over a month apart.  They did give me a really low starting CL on the 2nd one though.  Congrats on two really great cards.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If they're fully utilized, you're correct.  Amex I'm sure is happy with those that don't end up using them.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rob, were you approved for the Platinum and Gold ?
Message 7 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. If you use them.

In my experience you need to be a frequent traveler to get the benefits of having the platinum card.

The gold card is a little more complicated. You can kind of break even with it if you're not a frequent traveler, but it's probably not a great investment unless you really have use for their mileage reward points.

Message 8 of 28
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Hover over my cards to see what ones.  I was approved for Delta Skymiles Gold and Hilton Ascend.

Message 9 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's a question I have for you, and for many other folks who get these cards with big annual fees. And it's even a question I ask myself.

Why get a card at all if all you're going to do with it is get enough benefit from it to offset the annual fee?  Why not just skip it and get a no-fee or low-fee card, which just gives you benefits?

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.