Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x CLI with high utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 3x CLI with high utilization

Hello everybody,

I just got approved for an increase from 1k to 3k on my 65th day of owning my amex everyday card. My card utilization was close to 70% when I applied and was approved. I made a ton of travel purchases that was over my limit, and had to call amex multiple times to take a payment over my limit so I can make purchases. If your reason is good enough, like using their travel website to book they will honor your request and take a lump sum payment and it will be posted on your account. I took advantage of that hoping my high utilization with immediate payoff will refect, plus I wanted the bonus sign up points and random travel points during the holidays.

Well it worked and I'm really happy for the increase! Amex is by far my favorite card second to my venture one card.
Since opening my score went up from 658 to 678 fico on exp, trans, and eq. My overall utilization is at 20%, but my amex alone was at 70%. I hope this helps for new amex adventurers, no need to carry a zero balance to get that cli. Just make sure you pay that balance off and show amex you're responsible with big purchases.
Granted I probably could have waited to pay off my balance at the end of the month but I just got impatient Smiley Tongue.
Also please note that my overall 20% utilization most likely helped as well.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 3x CLI with high utilization

Congratulations! Amex can be great for those 3X CLI's! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats Congrats CongratsSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats! and good data points.

Amex doesn't seem to care about having balances etc as long as you are perfect at paying every month. They approved me for a 10k SPG business card when I had 2k reporting on the ED.

Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Shhhhhh, wandering......dont say that around this pif crowdSmiley Wink Your bound to start a ficopede threadSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid 2 of my Amex cards off in full and had my PBC at 60% utilization, 62nd day asked for 3x cl..DENIED...too many recent inquiries and use of balance transfers...approved for DELTA 1 week prior to CL request??

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP's utilization snapshot obviously shows using the heck out of it and needing more room, not using the heck out of it because of overspending, and its 70% all times of the month. AMex knows what its doing. Just like they knew what they were doing when they told me to kick rocks. I was using discover and chase for high spend.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@meatman1
From reading other threads amex allows only one cli per card (unless it changed), and then you have to wait again. If you got a recent increase in your delta skymiles card then most likely they won't grant you another increase for your other card. But re-reading your post I'm not sure if you just opened the delta card instead of asking for an increase. In that situation I would assume if you opened the delta card you have to wait 62 days after account opening since it is your newest account to request a cli. Your situation is a bit unique, so I can only give an assumptive suggestion.
Have you tried calling them to reconsider? The rep on the line told me the reason for my denial on my first week of opening the card. That's when the rep suggested I call in to over pay my card for bigger purchases.

And on another note adding to my original post, there really is no limit on how much you can overpay from my experience. I paid 1800 on my 1000 limit in December and it was granted. Just sucks that I was granted such a tiny limit, but at the same time grateful that I was accepted to the amex family. 
http://imgur.com/a/C1xBm

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.