cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Approval!

tag
Momof2kidsand3dogs

Amex Approval!

Two years ago, I started stalking these forums.  My credit score was the lowest it's ever been due to a really nasty divorce.  560 or so across the board. 

I never posted, but I read everything everyone has had to say and studied what was working and not working for others. And slowly got things removed or fixed on my credit report. 

As of May, I'm hovering between 714-722  except with Transunion which is floating around 688 (which I am still working on. Sallie Mae says I got a loan that I didn't.  It was ex husband's)  

Today, I took a leap and applied for an amex. I was too scared to try the green checked offers in chase as I already have a card with them with a $2500 cl.   And was definitely too nervous to try the capital one pre approval I rcved cause I have a card with them with a 2k limit which was increased from 1k in feb. 

So imagine my surprise when I hit submit and saw the "congratulations, you are approved for 5k"     My plan is that this will be my bill card and  pay it off monthly. (Been doing this with the other two,  so I will add this into the mix.  

The reason I wanted to post was because I don't think you all realize how many lives you are changing and how many you are helping even when we just stalk the posts.  

There is nothing more frustrating  than making good money (71k)  and being turned down for a rental cause of your credit score.   It's worse when you know that you are in that position because you had to decided at one time between your kids eating and paying a bill. 

My ultimate goal is to get one of the travel rewards cards.  I don't know which one yet but,  I know I will get there.  

And yeah I cried typing this but you all changed my **bleep** life.  Thank you! !!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Approval!

Congrats on the successful rebuild 😃
Message 2 of 15
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card @Momof2kidsand3dogs (love the name btw lol) and an even bigger congrats of getting to that point where you know your life is turning around for you. It's a tough milestone to get to sometimes but you're doing all the right things in the right order! 

Most of us have been in one of two boats before --- "credit rich, cash poor" or "cash rich, credit poor" --- I was the 2nd and when the other half finally pulls together you sleep a little bit easier each night. You got this! 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and rebuild!  Keep going Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Momof2kidsand3dogs

Thanks so much😂😂

Sometimes Im not sure who more challenging,  the kids or the dogs. 😅

Honestly,  the information in and by this community is priceless.    A friend of mine and I both started at about the same spot.  I choose to research and do some of the suggestions here.  She paid a company to help her and after they took her money,  they didn't do much. 

😊now she says she is going to start reading here too.

Message 5 of 15
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

So in reality it's mom with 5 kids (The furbabies count!) with a great success story about follow-thru and staying positive. Congrats on the approval and as you know... it's still nowhere but up on these forums Smiley Happy.

Message 6 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good work, grats on the new card  and welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new Amex card! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
WowCool
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the Forum!!   Congratulations on your New Amex!!!!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Momof2kidsand3dogs wrote:

Today, I took a leap and applied for an amex. I was too scared to try the green checked offers in chase as I already have a card with them with a $2500 cl.   And was definitely too nervous to try the capital one pre approval I rcved cause I have a card with them with a 2k limit which was increased from 1k in feb. 

So imagine my surprise when I hit submit and saw the "congratulations, you are approved for 5k"     My plan is that this will be my bill card and  pay it off monthly. (Been doing this with the other two,  so I will add this into the mix.  

You're on the right track when Amex gives you a 5K CL.  It's a healthy start to building onto it down the road.  Set your reminder for 61 days to do your CLI for 3X the amount aka 15K CL.  If they don't like it they'll counter or just simply deny but, you should be able to in the long term get up to 50% of your income in aggregate CL's with them.

Secondly it doesn't hurt to accept those pre-quals you're seeing... picking up Chase now while you're under 5/24 is a great opportunity while you let things age for a little while after the approvals hit your reports.  

Any card you can't focus on is a "bill card".  I do this with all of my new accounts by placing a recurring bill on it for the first year just to generate activity for the computer to see when I push the CLI on them.  Works great for growing things into monster limits.  It basically took a 10K BOA approval and gradually grew over 2 years to 65K CL. 

Just make sure with each new account to setup auto pay and figure out when to ask for CLI's.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.