Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Auto-CLI & CLI Request

tag
jeepbrew
Valued Member

Amex Auto-CLI & CLI Request

Longtime lurker, first time poster.  Just wanted to provide a few DPs regarding Amex UTI and CLIs.  I've had the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card (previously SPG Amex) since March 2016.  Starting limit of 10k.  At some point along the way Amex gave me an auto-CLI to $13.5k.  On Nov 7, 2019, Amex gave me an auto-CLI to $17,200.  At that time, I had a balance of over $10k, so it was over 77% UTI pre-CLI, so I was kind of surprised at the auto-CLI to begin with.  

Today, my balance is $4045/17,200 (24% UTI) and they auto-CLI'd me to $22,300.  For grins, immediately after receiving the email I logged in and requested a CLI to $30k ($7,700 increase) and it was immediately approved.  Perhaps I left some on the table.  Oh well, $30k is more than enough.  Anyway, now I'm at 13% UTI on the card.  I plan to pay it off before the due date in March, but it just goes to show that Amex will give out CLIs (both auto and requested) with a balance.  I did carry this balance over from last month, so it is not just recent spending.  

Ex current score is 773, which is down from 795 after my mortgage showed up PIF (due to refi).  Both TU & EQ are still over 800, even after mortgage PIF.  Amex does have the updated, lower score, as it hit their website over a month ago, so I suspect their computer/UWs used the new lower score for the auto & my requested CLI.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Auto-CLI & CLI Request

Congratulations on your PCLI and CLI!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations and Thanks for the DP's. Similar thing happened to me at Christmas time. Had a 6k limit at the time, but they did an auto-CLI to 11k after making one purchase of almost 3k. I don't think any balance will give an auto-CLI, but seems as though it's more likely with a high utilization according to our DP's alone.

Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Grats on the gratsSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex Bonvoy Brilliant CLIs!

Message 5 of 7
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Congrats!

Message 6 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.