Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE approval while unemployed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BCE approval while unemployed

Hey all,

I'm not a credit card afficionado like many here seem to be, however I did get some cool info from these forums and wanted to share info for potentially someone else to benefit.

I recently qualified for pandemic unemployement and used that as income to apply for BCE and got approved with a $2k CL. I got the $150 after $1k spend in 6 (six) months (not 3) and the 20% CB at Amazon for first 6 months up to 1k. I'm sure many are familiar with it.

In my searches on Google and such, I did not find much info on successes of people applying for CCs while unemployed, but I did learn Amex has pre-approvals to get an idea of your chances, and I did pre-qualify for BCE and they upped the offer upon prequalify from 'just' $150 with 1k spend in 3 months, to $150 with 1k spend in 6 months plus the 20% amazon CB.

I have very low spend and thought the 1k in 3 months was pushing it, however the upped offer to 6 months and the prequalification encouraged me to apply.

Hopefully this info helps someone:

I have decent credit history. Student loan for college from 20 years ago, car loan that is paid off, first and second card from 6 years ago, Discover in 2016, perfect payment history and low spend (I stay under 10% whenever I can of my CLs). My credit score is roughly 770 - 800 depending on the source and currently debt free on paper (I owe to my parents LOL).

Sorry I don't know what other info is useful I just wanted to post to add data for those considering applying on unemployment. My income from unemployement this year will be in the low 5 digits.

18 REPLIES 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex BCE approval while unemployed

Excellent, grats on getting the BCE and welcome to myFico Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 19
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 4 of 19
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 5 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Congratulations and welcome @Anonymous!

Message 6 of 19
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats on your new BCE card

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! The BCE is a great card- use it well!

Message 8 of 19
Irv02
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your approval with Amex BCE!!!

Message 9 of 19
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex BCE approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.