Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Preferred

tag
Creditdummy123
Established Member

Amex Blue Cash Preferred

Got approved for the Amex Blue Cash Preferred for whopping $1000.00. Seemed like a good idea at the time since i've been in a good spree lately (Now I am having 2nd thoughts). The card looked like it had some attractive cash back programs but I think I jumped the gun without reading the fine print. 6% supermarket and streaming subscription, 3% for gas and transit (tolls, taxis/rideshare, parking, public transportation) 1% everything else. $95 anual fee 

***Gas/supermarket like sams club is not eligible for the 6%*** 

Was surprised with the low credit limit since I was recently approved for a Discover card for $6600 with worse score. Was hoping for at least $2000. Called customer service and the rep suggested to call 10 days after I activate the card and see if anything can be done. 

At least I got my foot in the door with Amex and I will play x3 game in 61 days... 

Data points:

Experian score 729

4 inquiries in 1 year

few late payments from 3 years ago

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Preferred

CongratsSmiley Happy try 3x in 61 daysSmiley Happy

Disco and Amex can be night and day so bring your shades and night vision, itll be a journeySmiley Wink
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!   I also just got the BCP card and am looking forward to the 6% back on groceries.  Bummed that it doesn't count wholesale clubs like Costco towards that, but I'm sure the annual fee will be more than covered after a few months of groceries so it's not a huge deal.   You can also try purchasing gas gift cards in your local grocery store when you shop so that will count towards your 6%!

Message 3 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your Amex, Use it wisely and it will grow!Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
crys12065
Established Contributor

Congrats! That's a great card and it will grow!

In the garden until 2020
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex BCP approval! It will grow fast!

Message 6 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
CongratsSmiley Happy try 3x in 61 daysSmiley Happy

Disco and Amex can be night and day so bring your shades and night vision, itll be a journeySmiley Wink

why not 62 daysSmiley Tongue "so bring your shades and night vision"

#34GetsHerDone!

Message 7 of 11
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 8 of 11
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bummed that it doesn't count wholesale clubs like Costco towards that, but I'm sure the annual fee will be more than covered after a few months of groceries so it's not a huge deal.

I've had the AMEX BCP card since 2017. I don't remember my starting SL but in two years, my SL has grown to $48K. If your scores and income are high enough, the sky's the limit!

BTW Costco no longer accepts AMEX cards anyway. The Citi Costco Anywhere VISA is worth getting if you shop regularly there.

Message 9 of 11
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS on your AmEx Blue Cash Preferred approval and Welcome to the AmEx family!

When I was approved for my 1st AmEx card (BCE) in May 2018 with a $1,000 SL, I just started my Rebuild Project.  Six months later, I was approved for my 2nd AmEx card (Cash Magnet) with a $15,000 SL.  So, AmEx does approve better CLs as they get to know you. 

YMMV   

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.