Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Cash Magnet

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Amex Cash Magnet

I hadn't planned on this but................................

2 1/2 weeks ago we bought a new car for DW.

This week I took DDs car in for some exhaust work.   In addition to the exhaust she needs ball joints, control arms, tie rods, and struts.  So it would cost more than we paid for the car to repair it.   So the plan is to get her another junker.

I am planning of using Plastiq for about $2,500 in addition to the cash DD has saved for the Junker.   Plastiq would charge my brand new Amex Cash Magnet.  The SUB would more than pay for Plastiq fee and I would still get the 1.5% cash back.   And then I have 0% for 15 months.  I was given an SL of $2,000, but I moved $11,500 from my BCE so that both now have a CL of $13,500.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Cash Magnet

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 2 of 15
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

App'ers gonna app.

Congrats.

Message 3 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats there, @MakingProgress!

Message 4 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Very nice... I love it when a plan comes together!  Smiley Very Happy

Congrats!  screamer.gif

Message 5 of 15
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted StudiosCONGRATS on your Approval and Thanks for the DPs!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 6 of 15
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

And a wrench just got thrown in the plan.

I checked with Plastiq and I can't use Amex for this, I can use Visa or MC.  So to make this work lets do some math. 

$2,500 needed at 0%

+$62.50 Plastiq 2.5% fee

-$50 Cash Back on Citi DC at 2%

+$125 BT Fee to BT it to Amex CM.

=$2637.50 at 0% until June 2020.

So in reality I am paying $137.50 or 5.5% in fees to do this. The BT will not count as a purchase, but $1K in spend gets me $150 sub and $15 in cash back, but I am losing $5.00 in cash back by charging here instead of on my Citi DC.   So I still come out ahead and in effect have financed a car for 0% and even have an extra $22.50 in my pocket or have made a profit of 9%.

Not as good as it would have been if I could use Amex, but it still works. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval  !!!!

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your success!!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.