Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Double App 1 approval 1 Denial, 2 Inq

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Double App 1 approval 1 Denial, 2 Inq

Hi guys. Long time lurker , first time poster. I decided to come out of the garden after a year. Only newish form of credit is mortgage that hasn't started reporting yet. I double app'd with Amex. I applied for everyday preferred (prequal on Amex) first...instant approval. Decided to match it with green so applied for that next. Got the denial. Called recon immediately. They said reason for denial was no recent installment history, inquiries, and something about payment history as agreed. I checked Experian and I have 2 inquires from the Amex spree. I'm confused. Experian score 768. Only 2 inquiries in the past year aside from the 2 from Amex apps today. No late payments . No derogatory accounts. No history with Amex. Kind of upset I didn't get the 2 for 1 I read about with the double app. What should I do?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Double App 1 approval 1 Denial, 2 Inq

Congratulations on your approval! Maybe give it time to build up a payment history before applying for another card? Hopefully, it will be a SP approval.

Message 2 of 11
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approval and hopefully you can get the 2nd one you want soon!

Message 3 of 11
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@Anonymous I had similar situation happen to me where I was approved for the Hilton Aspire then tired for the card I really wanted the BCE and was denied. I got two HP for it and even when I tired to recon, I basically was told my relationship with them is to recent, even though I've been an AU on wifey's Delta Platinum since '20. Also tired to recon the second HP because the worst they can do is say no, which they did lol. The csr was excellent in trying to help me out with removing it, yet it was a no go. So I've be working on getting the SUB for the Apsire, and enjoying a card that absolutely was not on my radar with benefits I'm pleasantly surprised to have now - go figure Smiley Frustrated

PSA: Edited for this reason - was too in my own head lol. Congrats on Amex approval! 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the amex approvals!

Message 5 of 11
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your EDP approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 7 of 11
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval.  But it's important to remember ymmv.  You may have triggered the second hp on recon or it may just have been luck.  Give it 3-6 months and you should see some pre-approvals that will end up being soft pulls.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on the EDP approval Smiley Happy

That double pull is likely to be combined into one by the CRAs. welcome to myFico!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I didn't check updated credit report till after I called recon so I can't confirm your theory but you may very well be correct. Thanks. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.