Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex EDP comes in from the cold

tag
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Amex EDP comes in from the cold

In 2016 I got an Amex Everday card with a 1k limit.  I'm surprised they gave it to me at all, considering my (very old) history with them.  I got the card within a few days of letting a payment plan on a Cap1 account go CO.  If I knew then what I know now about the profoundly bad and long-lasting effect of a CO I would never have done it.   

Eventually I joined myFico.  I took take care of the CO in February 2021, so it's going to hurt me for a few more years, prob 60-70 points until it falls off. No other problems since 2016.

Amex did offer me an upgrade to ED Preferred a couple of years ago, but no CLI.  I asked, I asked, I asked.  They said No, no, no.  Meantime, last April or so I got the Gold, which I charged on right away until they slowed me down at about the 13k level.  I also got the Delta Reserve.  Thinking that the approvals of these cards indicated a warming of Amex towards me, I asked yet again for a CLI on the EDP.  Nope.  I transferred $1k of limit from the Delta to the EDP, giving me 2k - enough to breathe a little. Meantime, I was busy doing the MF thing: multiples in Navy, USAA, Penfed, couple of store cards, increasing limits.  I was thinking that perhaps Amex had the EDP bucketed, maybe forever, to teach me humility,  A couple of months ago, when Amex introduced the refreshed BCE, I apped through RESY for the extra goodies and got a better SUB and a 15k SL.  I got turned onto RESY because of the extras that accrue by apping through them, so last week, acting on the advice of a forum member, I took down the Platinum (10x dining 1st 6 mos to 25k spend, 125k pts when the Plat through the Amex site was 100k no dining SUB).

Riding somewhat high from the recent new cards, I was reluctant to spoil the party by getting shot down yet again on a CLI request for the EDP.  But I was on the phone with a CSR, and when he asked if there was anything else he could help me with, I blurted out "How about a CLI on the EDP?"  BOOM!  3X!  That little increase meant more to me than the 15k on the BCE.  I see it as a kind of redemption.  They sure took their time in finally letting me off EDP probation but I have no doubt that they remember.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex EDP comes in from the cold

@W261w261  Finally pays off. Happy for you.

Message 2 of 11
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

SHM while ROLFL
I had a good chuckle with the BOOM! 3X
Congratulations brother!

Happy to read and experienced your excited satisfaction!

20200928_161956.gif

Message 3 of 11
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome back EDP!  WooHoo!! Congratulations on your AMEX Approval!!👏🏼🍾🥂

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit4Growth wrote:

SHM while ROLFL
I had a good chuckle with the BOOM! 3X
Congratulations brother!

Happy to read and experienced your excited satisfaction!

20200928_161956.gif

Incredible graphic. Can't stop laughing.

Message 5 of 11
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your EDP 3X CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 11
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

In 2016 I got an Amex Everday card with a 1k limit.  I'm surprised they gave it to me at all, considering my (very old) history with them.  I got the card within a few days of letting a payment plan on a Cap1 account go CO.  If I knew then what I know now about the profoundly bad and long-lasting effect of a CO I would never have done it.   

Eventually I joined myFico.  I took take care of the CO in February 2021, so it's going to hurt me for a few more years, prob 60-70 points until it falls off. No other problems since 2016.

Amex did offer me an upgrade to ED Preferred a couple of years ago, but no CLI.  I asked, I asked, I asked.  They said No, no, no.  Meantime, last April or so I got the Gold, which I charged on right away until they slowed me down at about the 13k level.  I also got the Delta Reserve.  Thinking that the approvals of these cards indicated a warming of Amex towards me, I asked yet again for a CLI on the EDP.  Nope.  I transferred $1k of limit from the Delta to the EDP, giving me 2k - enough to breathe a little. Meantime, I was busy doing the MF thing: multiples in Navy, USAA, Penfed, couple of store cards, increasing limits.  I was thinking that perhaps Amex had the EDP bucketed, maybe forever, to teach me humility,  A couple of months ago, when Amex introduced the refreshed BCE, I apped through RESY for the extra goodies and got a better SUB and a 15k SL.  I got turned onto RESY because of the extras that accrue by apping through them, so last week, acting on the advice of a forum member, I took down the Platinum (10x dining 1st 6 mos to 25k spend, 125k pts when the Plat through the Amex site was 100k no dining SUB).

Riding somewhat high from the recent new cards, I was reluctant to spoil the party by getting shot down yet again on a CLI request for the EDP.  But I was on the phone with a CSR, and when he asked if there was anything else he could help me with, I blurted out "How about a CLI on the EDP?"  BOOM!  3X!  That little increase meant more to me than the 15k on the BCE.  I see it as a kind of redemption.  They sure took their time in finally letting me off EDP probation but I have no doubt that they remember.

Such a great story. Congrats in getting that EDP un-bucketed. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 7 of 11
MartyWrite75
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI 3X!

April 2024: Experian 772; Equifax 779; Transunion 781

Cards I Have:
Cap One QS: $600 (Sock drawer) || Cap One QS (#2): $6,200 (Sock drawer) || Discover It: $11,400 || Cap One Walmart: $600 (Sock drawer) || AMEX BCP: $8,900 || Amazon Prime Store Card: $10,000 || FNBO Rewards Visa: $2,600 || Discover Cash Back: $5,500 || Citi Custom Cash: $9,500 || Verizon VS Visa: $10,000 || Amex Hilton Honors: $10,000 || Amazon (Chase) Prime Rewards (VS): $9,500

Wishlist Cards:
Paypal Mastercard || Bread Mastercard

Gardening to 10/2024(ideally)
Total Utilization: 11%
Inquiries: Exp: (1) Trans: (0) Equif: (0)

Message 8 of 11
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the nice increase!

Message 9 of 11
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

I think the BCE is more valuable than your BCP at this point, congrats on both and atleast you can still transfer from the limit on the BCE.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.