Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold 50k points offer - accepted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold 50k points offer - accepted

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on an AMEX Gold email offer I received for 50k mr points after spending 2k in the first 3 months. Pretty stoked for my new metal card! That fee is hefty, but I’m going to try to get the most out of the perks to make up for it.

Will have to downgrade my BCP in November when the AF hits for the 2nd time, as that’s redundant now. But here’s my concern... I don’t see myself sticking with the gold card longer than a year or maybe two. It would just be too much ongoing work to order $10 worth of Grubhub once a month and try to take advantage of the airline fee credit , ultimately I want to simplify my use of credit cards, not give myself more things to keep track of. Will Amex hate me if I downgrade my BCP to bce after its 2nd annual fee hits? Will that affect my Gold sign up bonus? How about if I also then close the Gold when it’s 2nd annual fee hits a year from now? Is this a way to get on Amex’s bad side?

How about the 50k points offer- has anyone had any better than that?

In other related news I’ve already closed my capital one cards and now it’s looking like Citi double cash is next on the chopping block after cutting price rewind and extended warranty benefits. Moving up the ladder in the credit world! Two years ago my credit score was 540 and I had to deposit $100 to get a secured capital one card with a $200 limit. Today I’m in the high 700s, and I just checked my spending power on the Amex gold and it says I’m approved for a $10,000 purchase! It’s nice to know I have access to that kind of credit if needed. I don’t see myself charging any $10k purchases any time soon though.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gold 50k points offer - accepted

🙃
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yesterday I pulled the trigger on an AMEX Gold email offer I received for 50k mr points after spending 2k in the first 3 months. Pretty stoked for my new metal card! That fee is hefty, but I’m going to try to get the most out of the perks to make up for it.

Will have to downgrade my BCP in November when the AF hits for the 2nd time, as that’s redundant now. But here’s my concern... I don’t see myself sticking with the gold card longer than a year or maybe two. It would just be too much ongoing work to order $10 worth of Grubhub once a month and try to take advantage of the airline fee credit , ultimately I want to simplify my use of credit cards, not give myself more things to keep track of. Will Amex hate me if I downgrade my BCP to bce after its 2nd annual fee hits? Will that affect my Gold sign up bonus? How about if I also then close the Gold when it’s 2nd annual fee hits a year from now? Is this a way to get on Amex’s bad side?

How about the 50k points offer- has anyone had any better than that?

In other related news I’ve already closed my capital one cards and now it’s looking like Citi double cash is next on the chopping block after cutting price rewind and extended warranty benefits. Moving up the ladder in the credit world! Two years ago my credit score was 540 and I had to deposit $100 to get a secured capital one card with a $200 limit. Today I’m in the high 700s, and I just checked my spending power on the Amex gold and it says I’m approved for a $10,000 purchase! It’s nice to know I have access to that kind of credit if needed. I don’t see myself charging any $10k purchases any time soon though.

I think it's possible that you may upset Amex and risk your 50K offer being clawed back. What your doing maybe viewed as churning.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the approval! That 50K offer is sick! Nice pick up OP : )

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You really think they may claw it back?

How about if I just downgrade the BCP and decide to keep gold a 2nd year? They should understand that I’m not going to pay annual fees on two cards with grocery rewards...
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you plan on using if you cut the Double Cash?  That's the primary workhorse of my arsenal.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You really think they may claw it back?

How about if I just downgrade the BCP and decide to keep gold a 2nd year? They should understand that I’m not going to pay annual fees on two cards with grocery rewards...

Yeah, I read about people getting there bonuses clawed back for doing that.

If you keep at least one card you may be okay. Canceling both may result in you being blacklisted by Amex.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of my spend is on groceries and dining. Idk will probably just use a different card.

2% back is nice and all but the 1+1 thing takes forever anyway. Without price rewind I don’t see the point in using the card for the extra dollar per hundred spent. I was considering applying for the PayPal 2% card to replace it or maybe I’ll just keep it around and stop using it...
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind I’m not talking about canceling both cards, I’m talking about downgrading the BCP back to bce after its 2nd af hits, and possibly closing gold after its 2nd af hits. These wouldn’t happen at the same time; they’d happen about 7 months apart. But I will keep that in mind. I don’t want to lose Amex. Maybe they’ll refresh the green card by then and give me something better to downgrade to.

You don’t think *just* downgrading the BCP back to BCE will be enough for them to claw back my gold card bonus though, do you??
Message 9 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on the Gold card approval Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.