cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Delta and Discover It Pre Approvals...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold Delta and Discover It Pre Approvals...

Hey everyone! I'm super new to this forum (well, I've lurked on here from time to time since last year) and I wanted to share my happy news with you all. While it may not be much to some, it means the world to me right about now and I don't think I would've had the guts to do it had I not been encouraged by so many on this site. 

Brief history, 1 year ago this time I was sitting on a 505 FAKO credit score. YES 505 (dumb and poor college kid *Smiley Sad*)!! After putting some elbow grease into my credit game (and a full time job, lol), I now have a 668 FAKO. 

Tonight, I was feeling adventurous after some forum surfing and decided to check a couple of prequal CCs. Checked Discover and AMEX. I was preapproved for both with a single APR and no range. The Discover APR was a whopping 20% after 14 months at 0% but I was willing to go for it anyway as I plan to PIF each month. Approved for $4000 limit. OMG, I SCREAMED. Content for the day, I surfed through more forums and that AMEX preapproval kept itching away  - although even with the pre approval, I was still very hesitant to apply. I already have a corporate charge card through AMEX but figured that would have no impact on a personal card. Anywho, something came over me and I applied, expecting a denial and what did I get?? The dreaded 14 day message. I immediately called and the rep stated that they wanted to verify it was really me and so we did. Still nothing. Told me I'd get a letter about proving my address and should manually send in the documents it asked for in order to be considered. I thanked her and moved on. But something just wouldn't let me rest, so I called again. This time I spoke to a gentleman who told me that they are "not meaning to offend" me but they are having to take extra steps to prove it is me. Makes sense because around October, I had my wallet stolen and called Amex for a new corporate card and let them know the issue. So I guess it was somewhere in between that time and now that I got my new phone number which led to another hiccup - whoops. He said that I should have received a reference number on my trusted phone number to help push the process along. Welllll, I didn't. Now the rep sounds skeptical about me so I think to quickly say the old phone number and let him know that I now have a new phone number that I *thought* I updated on Amex's website. He opens up a little then and asks if the last rep confirmed my DL info, which she didn't. He then had me read the last  4 of my DL #, my current address, and info about my corporate card. THEN *drumroll* he says "Congrats, Ms. xxx, you are now an Amex member" I DIEDDDD, haha. And for my "troubles" they're rushing the card at no additional fee. Amex Gold Delta CL of $1k Smiley Happy 

From a 505 to a Discover & Amex in just a year is astounding to me and I couldn't have done it without you all on this site. I can't wait to join that 700 club!

7 REPLIES 7
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Delta and Discover It Pre Approvals...

Awesome job! Now go get those SkyMiles!
Welcome to the AMEX family.

In 61 days increase that Delta Gold to 3k
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks and will do!!! Feels great to be part of the family Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Major league congrats!

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals. Welcome to families.  Awesome job pulling up your score.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on both approvals! 

Message 6 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome jobSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woo hoo!!  Way to go!  You have come a long way and well deserved approvals.  Take care of your new cards!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.