Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green Approval w/ Transposed SSN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Green Approval w/ Transposed SSN

Helo, my first post here.

I have experienced a strange situation when dealing with Amex. I incurred several charge-offs about 3.5 years ago, one of which was Amex blue account for approx. $2K. Recenly, the Amex charge-off stopped reporting on all 3 of my reports only after 3 years. The account is still in the Amex internal system, though.

Just recently I have decided to apply for the Amex Green card, and received an approval. When calling Amex about some unrelated issue, I have discovered that I have accidentally mistyped one digit in the SSN field on the application. Amex explained that the system was still were able to find my correct Experian file for approval, and that the SSN issue is not a big deal, for which I can mail in a copy of the SSN card. I have no idea how I even got aproved becasue I have somewhat bad credit and with charge-offs. I was also under the impression that Amex blacklists people with past derogatory info.

This is my question. The transposed SSN is not associated with any other Amex customer on anyone else's information. Amex has my old charge-off on record with my correct SSN. How will correcting the SSN on the green card impact this account? Would they close it if they link the old charge-off together? Without correcting it I am risking a "SSN variation" note on my credit reports. The account should still be correctly reported, because credit bureaus use more than just SSN to find and report info.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Green Approval w/ Transposed SSN

COs less than 10K, you can be approved for a new card after a period of time. I doubt they will close it out just be sure to get the SSN corrected. Grats on the card.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Green Approval w/ Transposed SSN

Thanks! My actual fico scores are 650-660. Several charge-offs, but I do have a mortgage and a long credit history.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.