Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG 50k sub approved!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG 50k sub approved!

First off - thank you to all of you contributing the fantastic cumulative knowledge on these boards which has allowed me to jumpstart my US credit path.  Here's to prove that even newbies to the game can get lucky sometimes!

I just got approved for Amex PRG (50k sub) this afternoon. Before the app my situation was as follows:

BofA Cash Rewards, May 2018 ($1500)

Discovery IT, May 2018 ($500)

No previous credit history prior to this

Hard pulls: TU (1) BoA; EQ (1) Discovery; EX (1) BoA

No baddies

Overall utilization 8.7%

No FICO scores generated yet!

Amex then hard pulled all three CRAs. I was very surprised to see Amex prequal offers suddenly appearing (also had the Magnet, ED) today. I will go back to my (very small) garden as I have my eyes set for the Amex Plat when it shows up as prequal and then CSR/CSP at the 12-month mark, hopefully. Would also like the Hilton Aspire but than can wait until after.  That's the plan anyway. I am quite encouraged!

Any other datapoints on such a short/thin file getting "in" with Amex?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex PRG 50k sub approved!

Congratulations on your approval and that terrific SUB.  The only I advice I can give you already know:  use wisely, use often, and pay in full every month (charge card).  Exactly a year ago I started with a Delta Gold with 1k limit.  I treated it right and Amex has been generous ever since.  Good luck with your future goals.

Message 2 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What is the spend for the 50k?

I'm surprised Amex approved you with no Ficos created. Can you elaborate on your credit past for those who just read this thread. I assume you had credit from another country and are new to US. Thanks and congratsSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and 50K sub!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the PRG approval.  You're already "in" with American Express as membership will eventually give you access to all the credit and charge cards offered by Amex with mostly just a soft pull of your Experian 08 FICO score.  Once you've set up your online account you can click on any Amex card, then on the "Apply Now" button.  If you see a statement saying "RoadVlking, You are pre-approved! Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" you will very likely get that card with a soft pull.  If you see "Expanding your membership with us is easy" then you're not pre-approved and if you still want to apply, it will probably be a hard pull on Experian.  My guess is that it will take about 30 days before you start seeing other pre-approved Amex cards but YEMV.

Just keep in mind if you're targeting the CSP/CSR that you're already at 3/24 and Chase will in most cases deny applications if you opened 5 or more credit cards in the preceding 24-month period.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
What is the spend for the 50k?

I'm surprised Amex approved you with no Ficos created. Can you elaborate on your credit past for those who just read this thread. I assume you had credit from another country and are new to US. Thanks and congratsSmiley Happy

$2k spend in 3 months. I was very surprised as well!  I have no previous credit history in the US (beyond 3 months) and did not used the AMEX global transfer programme, if this is what you allude to.  I thought this must be rather unusual, but I am not complaining....

(Only thing I can think of is that I have a European Amex corporate card which is probably 20+ years old and that I never use. Could they have somehow dug this up from the archives and cross-referenced name and birth date?  I know corporate card history does not count towards the global transfer programme as they are not personal)

Message 6 of 8
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Congrats!  Don't forget to use your airline incidental credits too for gift cards if you fly with Delta or Southwest.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.