cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat Charge approved-Soft Pull ONLY?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Plat Charge approved-Soft Pull ONLY?!

So I already have a Green Charge and EDC, brand new accounts, March 29, I just pulled the trigger on the PLAT and thought surely they'll decline for too many new accounts, and it said at first, 'looking to add more membership to your account?', then just asked me my phone number, and salary, click submit, and Congratulations Welcome to the Platinum Card! My FICO 8 is currently 745. But I have just opened Citi, Disco, Chase, Fifth Third, Wells Fargo, and TWO Amex cards. Could it be a soft pull?

The other accounts are not all showing yet, there are currently 9 inquiries on EX. Two HP's from Amex, not a third for this card. I used my other two Amex cards recentIly  and paid them off a few days later . Zero Balance on both cards. I remain SHOCKED here right now. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
JimmyWayne
New Contributor

Re: Amex Plat Charge approved-Soft Pull ONLY?!

Congrats!!!

Amex is definitely showing some love! I was approved for PRG with soft pull last night. 

CapOne QS1 $1.2k | Chase Freedom $3.5k | Discover $2.9k | Amex Everyday $3k | Amex PRG | Amazon Store $6k | Barclays Apple Rewards $2.9k | Regions Life $2.5k | Lexus Pursuits $3.3k | PayPal MC $8k | CSP $5k | WF CashWise $2k
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I already have a Green Charge and EDC, brand new accounts, March 29, I just pulled the trigger on the PLAT and thought surely they'll decline for too many new accounts, and it said at first, 'looking to add more membership to your account?', then just asked me my phone number, and salary, click submit, and Congratulations Welcome to the Platinum Card! My FICO 8 is currently 745. But I have just opened Citi, Disco, Chase, Fifth Third, Wells Fargo, and TWO Amex cards. Could it be a soft pull?

The other accounts are not all showing yet, there are currently 9 inquiries on EX. Two HP's from Amex, not a third for this card. I used my other two Amex cards recentIly  and paid them off a few days later . Zero Balance on both cards. I remain SHOCKED here right now. 

My experience has been that current card holders get to add additional accounts without a HP. I think you are good for the SP...good luck!!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimmyWayne wrote:

Congrats!!!

Amex is definitely showing some love! I was approved for PRG with soft pull last night. 

Hey why not apply for a charge now, maybe the love is still flowing, thanks for the kind words!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My experience has been that current card holders get to add additional accounts without a HP. I think you are good for the SP...good luck!!

Oh okay, so never a HP again as long as your accounts are in good standing? Thanks for the info and kind words

Message 5 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh okay, so never a HP again as long as your accounts are in good standing? Thanks for the info and kind words

This is not true.. Mixed stories recently of some people having exisintg Amex cards getting SP new cards, but many people still get HP's as well including myself that has been a long time Amex customer recently got the SPG at 15k SL.  It is a YMMV type of thing more lesss and I would guess more people get HP's than get by somehow without one..  Amex use to be a SP for a denial of an existing cardmember and a HP upon approval that is how it was 99% of the time, but apparently this is changing for some people and they are getting SP approvals.. With that said expect a HP if you are applying and approved for a new card and count your blesssings if it was a SP approval.  HP's are overratted as well as a AAoA hit is much worse then a simple HP to ones credit.

Message 6 of 11
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the SP addition OP!

I've had the BCE for a year and opened the plat in March before the AF increased...it was  HP.

I'm tempted to try and open a BCP since EX is on ice and I'd like to see if I can get a nice SL and then maybe merge the BCE into it...but...don't feel like taking any further dings to my AAoA.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not true.. Mixed stories recently of some people having exisintg Amex cards getting SP new cards, but many people still get HP's as well including myself that has been a long time Amex customer recently got the SPG at 15k SL.  It is a YMMV type of thing more lesss and I would guess more people get HP's than get by somehow without one..  Amex use to be a SP for a denial of an existing cardmember and a HP upon approval that is how it was 99% of the time, but apparently this is changing for some people and they are getting SP approvals.. With that said expect a HP if you are applying and approved for a new card and count your blesssings if it was a SP approval.  HP's are overratted as well as a AAoA hit is much worse then a simple HP to ones credit.

Thanks for clearing that up fpr me...Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for the history lesson on Amex, I find it fascinting that they change things like that. Do you think the last two years of losses at Amex, has lessened their standards? I also read in the NYT today, that the snob appeal of Amex is wearing off, and they're trying hard to recapture it any way they can?!

Message 9 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Thank you so much for the history lesson on Amex, I find it fascinting that they change things like that. Do you think the last two years of losses at Amex, has lessened their standards? I also read in the NYT today, that the snob appeal of Amex is wearing off, and they're trying hard to recapture it any way they can?!

I am sure the standard have been loosened for various reasons whether it was losing costco and jetblue or whether the competition and lowering their standards being Chase and others caused Amex to have to loosen their UW standards as well to continue to compete and maintain marketshare..  A decent chunk of their portfolio is consumers, but a huge portion dont know the ratio is businesses and business travelers.  That is most likely where AMEX's main bread and butter is although the consumer sector is also vital to them.  They certainly have lowered their standards for UW in the last several years those are just speculations above as to why as no insider knowledge or why they have loosened up.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.