Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum-Low Score

tag
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Amex Platinum-Low Score

So I have a BCP that was upgraded from a BCE about 8 months ago. I have been a card member with Amex since early 2016 (March/April). I have a $1000 limit on the BCP and it has not changed since I opened the card, despite requests for CLIs. I run about 1500 through the card monthly and always PIF multiple times a month. Yearly income is about $70k with access to $150k.

I have 3-4 collections from 2013/2014 when my son was born and I was the only one working but payments have been on time since. I also have $8000 showing as a balance on a Capital One card on my report.

I received an offer for the Platinum in the mail in June and applied. Denied. But I didn't expect I'd get approved anyway. Got another offer in the mail about a week ago. Figured it wouldn't be worth applying again but then I decided to because I am used to denials at this point. Instant approval!!! I was (and am) in shock. I just stared at the screen and blinked. My score according to American Express is only 636 as of August 23rd. So I'm very confused. Really excited to get all the benefits of the Platinum card but still totally blown away.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum-Low Score

Congrats to you!  My scores are similar to yours (mid 600) and was surprised I was approved for two cards.  

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP - Very weird that you got approved ont he 2nd application!

Any travels soon?  Don't forget to activate alllll the offers 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on an awesome card!
Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on acoring the PlatSmiley Happy. If you Credit dream it it will comeSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 11
drboxing
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats OP - Very weird that you got approved ont he 2nd application!

Any travels soon?  Don't forget to activate alllll the offers 

Yes, this. It used to be easier, but offers much better (more remunerative) but you really need to study it to maximize the offers. Speaking of offers, the partner offers can be really great. Bought a pair of Allen Edmonds i wanted anyway and got a hundred back. Those can really pay.

You'll love it!

Message 7 of 11
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Thanks for advice guys! As someone who doesn't travel much currently but wants to increase that, I need all the advice I can get! I also want to maximize transfers for the membership rewards points. I have a venture card that I run about 30000 through a year earning 2% cash back and a BCP that gets me 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. So I'm trying to maximize everything I can. The platinum card is definitely more of a want than a need.

Any more advice or anything? I'm so excited! I've wanted this card since I began my rebuilding journey back in 2012.
Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Creditdreamer wrote:

So I have a BCP that was upgraded from a BCE about 8 months ago. I have been a card member with Amex since early 2016 (March/April). I have a $1000 limit on the BCP and it has not changed since I opened the card, despite requests for CLIs. I run about 1500 through the card monthly and always PIF multiple times a month. Yearly income is about $70k with access to $150k.

I have 3-4 collections from 2013/2014 when my son was born and I was the only one working but payments have been on time since. I also have $8000 showing as a balance on a Capital One card on my report.

I received an offer for the Platinum in the mail in June and applied. Denied. But I didn't expect I'd get approved anyway. Got another offer in the mail about a week ago. Figured it wouldn't be worth applying again but then I decided to because I am used to denials at this point. Instant approval!!! I was (and am) in shock. I just stared at the screen and blinked. My score according to American Express is only 636 as of August 23rd. So I'm very confused. Really excited to get all the benefits of the Platinum card but still totally blown away.

Congratulations on your approval.

Now the trick is to travel and make use of its benefits and perks.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Creditdreamer wrote:

The minor under me received both email and print invitation to apply for both PRG and Plat cards.  This is too much for 19 year old.  So we applied for the AmEx everyday card instead.   No AF.  Like the bonus of $250 with $2,000 spending.  It is like a mini PRG.  The FICO is about 760 though.

Anyhow, I hope economy is good for years and we won't have much COs... Enjoy the boom!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.