cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum vs Gold. Apply 6 years post BK? Thanks!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum vs Gold. Apply 6 years post BK? Thanks!!!

My situation. I currently have:

Navy Fed Green    22,000 CL 

Navy Fed Blue       22,000 CL

Navy fed C. Line    15,000CL

Barclay                      2,500CL

Capital One              7,500CL

I had high balances but I just finished paying them down to under 10% last week. The last one showing high balance was due on 8th and statement cut 11th so it will need a few days to reflect with bureaus most likely.

I had a Delta Gold Skymiles 15 years ago. I settled for less on it 12 years ago. Showed as settled and then dropped off after 7.

I had a BK filed 7 years ago discharged 6 years 10 months ago.

I fly Delta international round trip twice a year and a flight is coming in January I want to book soon. So.... My creditkarma shows my transunion at 665 and equifax 655 but doesn't yet reflect that I paid off the card which was at 88% bringing my utilization over 30%. 

TWO QUESTIONS:

1) Do you think it's safe to apply for Amex and 2) Are my chances on the Gold better than on the Platinum or are they same with one just having a higher annual fee?

THANKS!!!!!!!

Dani

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum vs Gold. Apply 6 years post BK? Thanks!!!

Congrats on the limits you already have!  Those are great for less than 7 years post BK.  As for the AMEX question.... settling for less might be a flag in addition to the BK.  AMEX is notorious for pulling Experian for new accounts so, I would go hit discover scorecard and get your score to know where you stand with that aspect.  Depending on your score and if AMEX declines you might be in for some fight over the phone with them to open the account.  They may put you under Oasis for recovering the remainder of the balance / 2nd chance program.  They may flat out approve you for a new account since the BK is only 3 more years.  

Go with the card that you really want since the criteria for underwriting will be the same.  Make sure your reports update with the new lower balance to optimize your chances and put your score into the highest possible postion before apping.  

Message 2 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Could go either way... Usually Amex minimum time after BK to let you back in is 5 years this is known.  Problem is your burnt them for a small amount meaning paid back less than full.  It could go either way it could be an approval a denial or even as austin stated the oasis program although I tend to lean away from that one.  Find out your real experian Fico 08 score and report back and might be able to give you a more educated guess.  Amex does have a long memory although they have been alot more forgiving lately than they use to be.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Austin and CC. I guess the payoff for that card that cut on the 11th will report sometime this week. Is there a recommended place to pull the FICO 08? I have the USAA credit monitoring service I generally use.

Message 4 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Austin and CC. I guess the payoff for that card that cut on the 11th will report sometime this week. Is there a recommended place to pull the FICO 08? I have the USAA credit monitoring service I generally use.

wait another day then pull your Exp 08 score for free from discover scorecard (just google it)... Can get it once a month.. Offered through discover.  Probably just a way for them to target possible customers or you can buy your Exp 08 Fico score from this site..  USAA credit monitoring is not a real FICO score.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh. Unfortunately I have 14 inquiries with Experian 4 of which fall off in January 2017. Only 3 with Transunion and 4 with Equifax. I have 3 businesses and it looks like Wells Fargo has hard pulled my credit 8 times with Experian (every time they open a new account).  I am also considering applying for credit with them since I have over 30k a month in business deposits which I am hoping would help. I actually have a 7,500 card with them for my business (corporation) I have never used that they pulled my personal credit when they gave me last year.

Is there  any good card that doesn't pull Experian?

Goals: 

Delta Skymiles Amex (I fly A LOT!)

1 other good rewards card - thinking of maybe hitting up Navy Federal again for a 3rd card but I do run high balances constantly with them.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks CC. I will check that tomorrow and post updates. 

Message 7 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

only way to know is to apply. Its been known that the Delta Card is the easiest to get "in" with, but since you burned them, and settled for less, you might be BL.

If you apply and they don't even pull your report....youre on their BL, meaning...you won't get a card. If they pull your report, you're not on the BL... good luckSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok.... So I checked my discover scorecard and my Experian had shot up to 693 with the low utilization. That's my lowest of 3 scores. I have 69,500 in available credit with about 6800 in play. 

So I applied at Amex. Got a notification they would let me know. Also an email saying thank you and that they were reviewing and would let me know. Fingers crossed? Call?

I seem to recall that I had applied walking through the airport a few years back and I did get a hard pull so I don't know believe I am blacklisted.

Dani

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.