Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex & Discover!

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Amex & Discover!

Ok so I've been helping my boyfriend maximize his scores for the past few months. I don't really know his whole credit history, only that his scores are in the 740-750 range. He only has one Capital One card opened last year ($3,400 CL) and an Express card opened many moons ago (he doesn't know the limit). So I told him he needed a 3rd card to boost those scores.

Well today, he finally decided to listen to me and apply for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card. APPROVED!! He was sad that it was only $1,000, but I told him to shut it because at least he was pre-approved and then actually approved for an Amex card. My sad scores don't even pre-qualify me... yet! He said he'd add me as an authorized user. Do you guys think this is a good idea??

He wanted to apply for the Discover card as well, so I told him to just go for it. He panicked when they asked for his driver's license and SS card, and then told him to call for a decision. Approved for $8,000!!

You guys, he doesn't have an account here, but I'm honestly so proud of him! We're saving to buy a house next year and are trying to get our scores as high as possible. Thank you to everyone on this forum who's given me the knowledge I have today regarding credit and how to use it responsibly! Now it's time for both of us to sit back and watch our seeds grow. Cat Tongue

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex & Discover!

First, congratulations on how far YOU have come with your credit journey!
Second, WTG to your boyfriend! 

As far as adding you as an AU, I would say go for it after he's let a few statements report. 
Keep up the excellent work!

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations to you both!  Those are fantastic cards to have, I love both of mine and they'll definitely grow with him!  If you're not already familiar with the Amex 3x CLI thread, read it!  Discover is also really good about CLIs (Read the Disco Double Dip Thread(s)).  Both Amex and Discover do SP on CLI requests, another big PLUS!  I also agree with the previous poster, wait for at least three statements to cut on the Amex before adding an AU.  It seems like I started getting pop-ups suggesting an AU be added to mine about the 90 day mark.  Best of luck with all your plans and keep us updated!

Message 3 of 17
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Congrats on thr approvals and good job showing him the way Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 17
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations to you both!  Those are fantastic cards to have, I love both of mine and they'll definitely grow with him!  If you're not already familiar with the Amex 3x CLI thread, read it!  Discover is also really good about CLIs (Read the Disco Double Dip Thread(s)).  Both Amex and Discovery do SP on CLI request, another big PLUS!  I also agree with the previous poster, wait for at least three statements to cut on the Amex before adding an AU.  It seems like I started getting pop-ups suggesting an AU be added to mine about the 90 day mark.  Best of luck with all your plans and keep us updated!

Thank you! Right after I posted that, I found a link for the upgrade for the Capital One card. I was able to upgrade my Capital One Plat to the QS!! I didn't even know you could do that! Can I request a CLI?? I got my automatic one on my last statement, so probably not...

I'm familiar with the Discover double dip, but not the Amex 3x CLI. I'll DEFINITELY look into that for him. I'm so glad they only do SP for CLI's! I heard they were both generous with the CLI's, so that's why I suggested those cards to him. He has really good credit (no late payments/collections) just a paid car loan and those cards I mentioned above.

I would still be stuck in the 580's if it wasn't for all the amazing people on this forum. Like, I really can't thank every single person enough.

Alos, I'll have him add me as an AU after 90 days Cat Very Happy

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 5 of 17
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Congrats again lol....I usually request every 3 months capital one.... Can't Discover dip with them....
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations to you both!  Those are fantastic cards to have, I love both of mine and they'll definitely grow with him!  If you're not already familiar with the Amex 3x CLI thread, read it!  Discover is also really good about CLIs (Read the Disco Double Dip Thread(s)).  Both Amex and Discovery do SP on CLI request, another big PLUS!  I also agree with the previous poster, wait for at least three statements to cut on the Amex before adding an AU.  It seems like I started getting pop-ups suggesting an AU be added to mine about the 90 day mark.  Best of luck with all your plans and keep us updated!

Thank you! Right after I posted that, I found a link for the upgrade for the Capital One card. I was able to upgrade my Capital One Plat to the QS!! I didn't even know you could do that! Can I request a CLI?? I got my automatic one on my last statement, so probably not...

Congrats on the upgrade from Cap 1 Platinum to QS!  The auto CLI re-set your 180d CLI clock on that Cap 1 card, so mark your calendar 181d from the auto-CLI and HIT THAT LUV BUTTON!!!

Message 7 of 17
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the upgrade from Cap 1 Platinum to QS!  The auto CLI re-set your 180d CLI clock on that Cap 1 card, so mark your calendar 181d from the auto-CLI and HIT THAT LUV BUTTON!!!

Calendar is marked! Thanks!!! HeartHeartHeart

Message 8 of 17
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on both approvals!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 9 of 17
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you and your BF!!!  I see no harm in being an AU user to establish a relationship with Amex, provided the Util stays low of course. It can only help continue improving your already good success.  Nicely done moving onto the QS as well!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.