Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex and Chase

ok so I was 4/24 and the wife said she wants to go to Virginia for her family reunion in July. I have been eyeing the Gold card and decided to pull the trigger. Amex Gold approved.  Now at 5/24 I wanted to get in with chase for the balance transfer and 0% apr with the freedom before this reports. Approved for the freedom. Now because we will be staying at a Hilton hotel applied for the Ascend card to have the points go towards our hotel stay. All instant approvals and done now, until January when my 91/3 is up for my NFCU Cash rewards. My one question would I be able to get an Amex Platinum in like 3-4 months? We will be flying out of SFO and wanted to uses the lounge?

My last 2 collections fell off 

Scores are below

EX 660

TU 669

EQ 668

Scores in April 2018

EX 522

TU 535

EQ 542

10 REPLIES 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex and Chase

Congratulations on your approvals!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Just to clarify you were at 4/24 prior to the Amex app?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Congratulations! Just to clarify you were at 4/24 prior to the Amex app?

Yes but I did both of them on the same day. Amex Gold first then a few hours later when I got home the CF. So no way Chase would see that I had 5 open accounts.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you have your card setup online, start checking whether you are preapproved for Platinum.

Ideally higher into 600’s is better but if your account shows you are preapproved for a card AND that card meets your needs I would consider applying.

At some point your Amex cards may come without hard-pulls but not sure how long that will take.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read on these forums that they do check this after the fact with SP’s. Just saying. Stay vigilant - not much you can do either way. Best wishes! 😊
Message 7 of 11
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

My scores were similar to yours when I was approved for the AMEX Gold.  A couple of months later, I began receiving mailers for the Platinum so I called to see if I could upgrade.  The agent said I needed to wait 13 months after being approved for the Gold or I could just apply for it.  Debated for a couple of months, bombarded with mailers, so I decided to go for it.  Instant online approval 4 months after the Gold with no HP.  At the time I did not know about being able to check if I was preapproved as was suggested by another contributor.  You may want to see if you are preapproved before you apply.

Good luck!

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Once you have your card setup online, start checking whether you are preapproved for Platinum.

Ideally higher into 600’s is better but if your account shows you are preapproved for a card AND that card meets your needs I would consider applying.

At some point your Amex cards may come without hard-pulls but not sure how long that will take.

how do you check on the app?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Layout of web page will differ a little depending on what device you are using but general idea is: login in to your account on the website, navigate to Cards->Credit Card Offers. Find the Platinum. Can search on under “Travel”. Hit the first Apply button.

That only brings up the application.

If the text “You are pre-approved” comes up then odds are very good to proceed.

If the screen says something about “Expanding your membership....” then odds less certain.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.