Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 15
pl-724

Re: Amex approval shortly after paid CO

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I've been a lot more careful with credit since that happened. My first charge-off was a card I got going into college and it was neglected when things got tough a few years later after some serious family stuff happened. That dropped off my credit report a couple years ago. My Amex charge-off was a Green Card. I didn't really want it at the time, but it was meant to get my foot in the door and it was all I could get. It ended disastrously around the holidays.

Obviously, with a score like mine, I have other cards. I have cards with Capital One, Discover, Apple, and BoA (and Care Credit, but that was for veterinatry purposes that unfortunately no longer apply). I've wanted either the BCE or BCP for years on account of the grocery store and gas station rewards. I make pretty heavy use of Discover for the grocery rewards in the first quarter and I have BoA set for 3% rewards for restaurants for the entire year (which effectively makes it my restaurant card). I've tried to give each card a purpose that maximizes my rewards.

Message 13 of 15
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

Mazel Tov @pl-724 for getting back in with them! Im curious whether I will be allowed back in next year myself. Im always glad to see someone make back, it gives me hope!

Message 14 of 15
pl-724

@HeavyResist I don't know your particular circumstances. I only decided to pay them off because I got an email with Optima offer and an offer to pay over a set time period (3, 6, or 12 months) or in full. I chose the 12 month option for a balance over $2000. They also offered some settlement plans, but regaining card membership was more enticing and it seems like settling doesn't offer much apart from avoiding legal action.

I should also add that this BCE application was a double-pull. They hard pulled both EX and TU. My Green card a few years ago was just a pull with EX. I'm not sure why they pulled two. If it's because I had a previous issue with them, I can understand that. It's a small price to pay.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.