Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex approval with a 668 score!

tag
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Amex approval with a 668 score!

I can hardly believe it!  So, last night I was watching a youtube who said Amex was approving people with scores like mine and that the Amex preapproval was spot on. Well I didn't believe it because I checked the preapproval this past summer (2021) (when my scores were actually higher low 700)  and It showed preapprovals for all of the cards.  I picked the cash magnet (I thought it would be my best bet and I figured it might be the best for me) and I was denied. I was not really surprised. I had just had a inquiry spree. I had just got approved for 3 cards the prior month (and denied for 2 ..costco and bestbuy). I have some lates reporting on some student loans. some lates on a car loan that was about a year and half old and I still have a 3 year old charge off showing. 

But curiosity got the best of me so I tried the preapproval again and it showed a preapproval for the platinum.  I actually laughed to myself and said "no way"  and went to bed. So, I didn't pull the trigger last night because I didn't trust it. 

Then this morning credit sesame sent me an email that piqued my interest and it showed a preapproval for wells fargo and the amex gold card. This is the first time I got those choices I usually get petal one and cap one. 

Then something weird happened. My score dropped 16 points this morning on experian from  683 to 668! I still don't fully understand why. The only thing I can figure is when I refinanced my car last month I lost 3 years of history when it reported as paid this month. But even after the point drop credit sesame still showed the preapproval. I have 19 injuries so I figured..what the heck?

I was shocked when it said approved!!

My Scores are equifax 698, tu 696, ex 668 on model 8. they pulled tu and ex. utilization 4 %,  payment hx 93%,  age of ACC. 6 yrs 11 months, age of most recent opened ACC. 2 months,  credit mix exceptional (30 credit card accounts total of 56 accounts but that includes car loan small credit-building personal loans and student loans)

I did get a raise and I reported 70,000 this summer and 80,000 now. 

I know this was a LONG explanation but I would like to know why my score dropped and why you guys think I got approved. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex approval with a 668 score!

Congratulations on your new Amex approval!

Message 2 of 19
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your AMEX approval @ulyssesmama 

Message 3 of 19
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the Amex approval 👍🏼

Message 4 of 19
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@ulyssesmama wrote:

I can hardly believe it!  So, last night I was watching a youtube who said Amex was approving people with scores like mine and that the Amex preapproval was spot on. Well I didn't believe it because I checked the preapproval this past summer (2021) (when my scores were actually higher low 700)  and It showed preapprovals for all of the cards.  I picked the cash magnet (I thought it would be my best bet and I figured it might be the best for me) and I was denied. I was not really surprised. I had just had a inquiry spree. I had just got approved for 3 cards the prior month (and denied for 2 ..costco and bestbuy). I have some lates reporting on some student loans. some lates on a car loan that was about a year and half old and I still have a 3 year old charge off showing. 

But curiosity got the best of me so I tried the preapproval again and it showed a preapproval for the platinum.  I actually laughed to myself and said "no way"  and went to bed. So, I didn't pull the trigger last night because I didn't trust it. 

Then this morning credit sesame sent me an email that piqued my interest and it showed a preapproval for wells fargo and the amex gold card. This is the first time I got those choices I usually get petal one and cap one. 

Then something weird happened. My score dropped 16 points this morning on experian from  683 to 668! I still don't fully understand why. The only thing I can figure is when I refinanced my car last month I lost 3 years of history when it reported as paid this month. But even after the point drop credit sesame still showed the preapproval. I have 19 injuries so I figured..what the heck?

I was shocked when it said approved!!

My Scores are equifax 698, tu 696, ex 668 on model 8. they pulled tu and ex. utilization 4 %,  payment hx 93%,  age of ACC. 6 yrs 11 months, age of most recent opened ACC. 2 months,  credit mix exceptional (30 credit card accounts total of 56 accounts but that includes car loan small credit-building personal loans and student loans)

I did get a raise and I reported 70,000 this summer and 80,000 now. 

I know this was a LONG explanation but I would like to know why my score dropped and why you guys think I got approved. 

PersistenceSmiley Wink. Way to goSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 19
Limitless3000

Congrats on the AMEX approval, your in the game now. I am hoping i can do the same. I will check my approvals today. They always denied me in the past. 

Starting Score Fico 8: EX664 EQ671 TU654
Current Score: EX664 EF671 TU654
Goal Score: 750+ Across All

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your Approval!

Message 8 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your Amex approval, enjoy it Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 19
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.