Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex denial, approved after recon letter

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex denial, approved after recon letter

Way to go @CreditBones  #nevergiveup I'm glad to hear that Amex is actually reading customer communications. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 20
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the recon. It looks like your efforts in addressing each negative worked. I can't remember the last time I read someone wrote in a letter for recon. 

Message 12 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@CreditBones wrote:

Last month (Oct 8), I app'd for NFCU SSL, Amex Cash Magnet, Disco it, and the Card (in that order, one right after the previous one). The Amex was the only one to be denied.

When I finally decided to submit a recon for the Amex, it was already a month later. But I said: "what the heck! What's the worse it can happen? For them to say it's too late, or that I need to resubmit an app, or that they would have to make another HP (to which I would just leave it as is)"...

"But, what are you (me) willing to invest? Time; composing a letter... money; $8.xx in an envelope, postage and a certified service? For the possibility of a win??? Let's do it!"

And I did it. I sent them a recon letter (Nov 8) debating each of the negatives, with snapshots of my  EX's cred report from Oct 1.

Fast forward to Nov 16, and I receive an email from Amex: "Good news - your application has been approved"!!! There was no info about what card, or SL, so I used the chat feature, and the friendly rep confirmed it!

The SL is $1k, but comming from a denial, $1k sounds sweet to me! Now I am in!!! Now that I'm in, I can make it grow with CLI from time to time! I am already researching the 3X CLI threads! LOL 

Super happy with the outcome of my mini spree! 4 apps, 4 approvals!

03AACAE6-78BE-4C73-B5C2-AAB00DD53D21.gif

Thats awesome! I remember reconning my Pep Boys card with a letter and getting approved it feels  awesome!😊

Message 13 of 20
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Congrats! What were the initial reasons for denial and did they do another HP before you gotten the approval email?

Message 14 of 20
Sax2610
Contributor

Congratulations 👏 👏 

Message 15 of 20
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Huge congrats! That's probably what I should do after the recent denial I had last month with Amex. Rep told me that there was an unpaid medical collection for $105 that I thought was paid and it was the only thing that was keeping me from getting the Hilton Honors card. Got it paid right away and called them back after 30 days. But the other rep didn't even bother to review my app after I told him what the previous person told me to do. It was very discouraging and though I pondered about writing a letter to them, I may just wait until February to try again. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 16 of 20
CreditBones
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your good vibes! They are greatly appreciated!
@silver_idle wrote:

Congrats! What were the initial reasons for denial and did they do another HP before you gotten the approval email?

Re: Denial reasons
1. The amount of outstanding account balances compared to their respective credit limit(s) or original loan amount(s) is too high (Experian).

2. Too few credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have paid a majority of the balance in recent months. (Experian)

3. The length of time is too short since the first account on your credit report was opened. (Experian)

4. We obtained your FICO score from Experian and used it in making our credit decision. On October 07, 2020, your FICO score was 786.

5. There is no recent information about installment loans on your report.

“There are too few accounts currently paid as agreed” & “The current or past delinquency on your account(s).”

7. The length of time your revolving accounts have been established.

Re: Another HP
I have not received any myFICO or Experian alert about another HP. The original HP was very quick to post on myFICO:

501B2B90-4E9B-4B61-A98B-1ED76F6702CD.jpeg

AU:

Message 17 of 20
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approvals and the recon!

Message 18 of 20
CreditBones
Regular Contributor

@CreditBones wrote:

The SL is $1k, but comming from a denial, $1k sounds sweet to me! Now I am in!!!

Update!

Just received the card on the mail, and to my surprise, it is eligible for the $150 SUB, and the starting APR is 13.99% (not better than my Disco's 11.99%, but better than the rest of my other CCs)! That makes the approval even sweeter for me!

٩( ᐛ )و 

AU:

Message 19 of 20
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I think 13.99 is their best published rate for the CM.  Grtz again!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.