Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex denied - Thin Credit file - Update: approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex denied - Thin Credit file - Update: approved

In December of 2018 I applied for the discover secured credit card. I got approved with a $400 limit. For the next few months I used the card and slowly built my credit up a bit. I've read a few threads on this forum of people with thin credit files getting approved for credit cards after six months. So this past saturday (June 22) I checked Amex prequalified page and saw I was prequalified for the delta gold. I thought that I'd go ahead a try my luck on the Amex green card. I got instantly denied based on my thin file and a pull of my credit score being 749. I wanted to ask. What's the next best step to diversifying my credit profile ? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex denied - Thin Credit file

Waiting for the Disco to unsecure would be #1

Waiting until it's a year old would be #2

Then strategically finding some targets to hunt down and snipe.  The most you would want to get would be 2 since you're AAOA will nose dive if you do more and w/ 1 card your profile is fragile to say the least.

Something you could do in the meantime is the SSL to build in a 2nd layer w/ an installment loan.

Another thing to consider is getting an AU from a family member on one of their CC's that has a low/no balance and long history.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with the above.  Getting your Discover unsecured should be first goal.  I think I would aim for a Capital One QS next.  Good news is that you have a healthy score, so just need a bit of time.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Great news, I received an email this afternoon stating that I've been approved.

Message 4 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. Great news, I received an email this afternoon stating that I've been approved.

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 5 of 14
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your AmEx approval!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Any reason why the approved you after getting denied? Who did they pull from? Im thinking of applying for Blue Buss card with them

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any reason why the approved you after getting denied? Who did they pull from? Im thinking of applying for Blue Buss card with them

I didn't mention this part in my first post, but after I applied and got denied. I called customer service to see if they'd reconsider my application. I spoke with one of the reps that gave me the run through for why I gotten instantly denied. He told me that he would put my application through the reconsider process. So I was completely shocked when I got the email today saying that I had gotten approved. They pull my experian report. 

Message 8 of 14
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Now use those two cards and make timely, substantial payments... Give it a year in the garden now. In that time, hopefully your Discover will graduate, you can try for some soft pull CLI's on both cards along the way and you'll have some credit history. 

Just remember, credit is a marathon, not a sprint. Pace is important! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATS @Smartplayer on your Approval and Welcome to the AmEx family and the FORUMS!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.