Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex said, " you're approved for Platinum" with 13 yr backdate EDITED

tag
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Amex said, " you're approved for Platinum" with 13 yr backdate EDITED

I'm so shocked that I'm speechless!!!!!!

Just completed an application for the Amex Platinum by phone and was approved. The kicker is that I had an Optima card back in 2000 which was charged off and never paid so I thought I was blacklisted. About 4 months ago I applied for the Zync and they did a HP but I was denied. Based on  what I've read on the site, that likely meant I wasn't blacklisted if they did a HP. 

My score has increased about 30pts since I last applied so maybe that helped. They're express shipping the card and I should have in 2 days. I'm in such shock I'm thinking they will find their mistake and either cancel or not ship the card altogether.

Should I press my luck and ask them to backdate it? I've had many corporate cards with them all paid but having a backdate to 1998 would be nice.

by the way, this is gonna look really nice in my new LV wallet Santa got me for Christmas.

thanks Community!!!!! Smiley Happy

1/10/2013:

so I got my shiny new card today. When i call to activate the card the agent said thanks for being a member since 1998. i told her the card reflected 2013 and she promptly stated it was an error and is resending me an updated card. Whoo Hoo!,

i learned of backdating from all of u so THANKS.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex said, " you're approved for Platinum"

Grats.  Let your card come in and activate it.  Check their website and see what Member since date they have online.  Then I would call in and see if they could backdate it (if needed).

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Thanks Duncanrr

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aspireto850 wrote:

I'm so shocked that I'm speechless!!!!!!

Just completed an application for the Amex Platinum by phone and was approved. The kicker is that I had an Optima card back in 2000 which was charged off and never paid so I thought I was blacklisted. About 4 months ago I applied for the Zync and they did a HP but I was denied. Based on  what I've read on the site, that likely meant I wasn't blacklisted if they did a HP. 

My score has increased about 30pts since I last applied so maybe that helped. They're express shipping the card and I should have in 2 days. I'm in such shock I'm thinking they will find their mistake and either cancel or not ship the card altogether.

Should I press my luck and ask them to backdate it? I've had many corporate cards with them all paid but having a backdate to 1998 would be nice.

by the way, this is gonna look really nice in my new LV wallet Santa got me for Christmas.

thanks Community!!!!! Smiley Happy

This has been happening a bit lately and I'm kind of wondering what is going on with AmEx.

I figure one or more of the following options:

1.  AmEx has given up on blacklisting or refined the duration;

2.  Their blacklist is broken; and / or

3.  The consent agreement they recently signed with the CFPB, FDIC et. al. has done something.

My brother has been on the blacklist for decades and every year applies twice and always gets declined without a credit pull.  Six weeks ago he applies and ... approved for BCP. 

Now the question is whether they actually treat these folks as true members of the family or as the b'tard step-children. 

Message 4 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

Maybe their relaxing the "blacklist" for their upcomming battle with the DOJ?

Message 5 of 16
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

if i remember correctly they were part of a class action lawsuit that found them guilty of falsley saying that people who owed them money would have a better chance of getting a card or something along those lines. 

anyway op congrats on the card and welcome back too the amex family 

do you dare poke the bear to see if you can get 13 years of backdating goodness? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@creditnocash wrote:

if i remember correctly they were part of a class action lawsuit that found them guilty of falsley saying that people who owed them money would have a better chance of getting a card or something along those lines. 

anyway op congrats on the card and welcome back too the amex family 

do you dare poke the bear to see if you can get 13 years of backdating goodness? 

Yeah, but to Open's point, their blacklist antics is basically what the class action lawsuit was raised upon; as such, they may have substantially re-worked their policy either self-imposed or on a rather pointed suggestion.

        
Message 7 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

Also, not sure about now, but there have been cases as recently as 6 months ago where some (very few) have were approved for Amex cards with prior COs or BKs only to have Amex after a review cancel the opened accounts requesting the cardmember pay his old debts to reopen them.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/pressreleases/cfpb-orders-american-express-to-pay-85-million-refund-t...

After reading this, it appears some people will receive checks, pre-approved offers with certain attributes, and some cardmembers will receive some reparation for some of Amex's violations.  Also, there's a part in the article where Amex was reprimanded by the CFPB for misleading people that payment in part of a debt will be "waived or forgiven" if they accepted settlment offers, but were never really forgiven.

The above means the practice of "blacklisting" for partially paid or CO'ed accounts.  So, if the CFPB enforces the ruling, Amex must go back and find all these people who were "blacklisted" and make card offers.  Obviously, in the future, Amex will need to stipulate that any settlement in part or compromise of debts may factor adversely in credit decisions by the company.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Also, not sure about now, but there have been cases as recently as 6 months ago where some (very few) have were approved for Amex cards with prior COs or BKs only to have Amex after a review cancel the opened accounts requesting the cardmember pay his old debts to reopen them.

That would work under some circumstances, but if the debt were discharged in BK and AmEx did as you mentioned I'd bet they find the CFPB back up their rear in no time. 

My brother received his new AmEx with a member since date of 1976.  I'd tend to think they knew what they were doing when they approved him, but only time will tell.  I was thinking of also trying to add him as an AU on mine, but I'd rather not risk the possible fallout.   

Message 9 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

idk if anyone remembers these posts, but what about... getting approved for the Amex with negative previous history and then getting DENIED ANY CLIs for that previous negative history... or getting denied clis until you pay it off.....

While the CFPB prob does have a say in Amex's practices, Amex will fig out ways to increase profitability regardless LOL... and the fact is that if you OWE them money... even if from a decade ago.. YOU OWE them money haha...

just be careful. I've charged over $4,000 in the few months I've had my Amex BCE haha

:-) Good luck!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.