Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex weird day. Denied gold card, approved platinum just minutes apart

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex weird day. Denied gold card, approved platinum just minutes apart

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve been with Amex since March 2019 (Amex delta gold SkyMiles 1k limit), i pay in full each month. I’ve been denied several times for the green and gold charge cards over the past year or so. So today i saw that i had preapprovals on the Amex site for all three charge cards (green, gold, & platinum), so i decided to app for the gold because i eat at restaurants and shop at supermarkets a lot- i was denied! ..... just literally 10min later i appd for the platinum card and was approved. !

My current experian is 656, 21 inqs, 39% overall util through all my accts

I’m happy to get the platinum it was a goal card for me, just surprised i couldn’t get the gold first . Oh well !!!’ Platinum it is!!!

I'm going to echo what most people said on here already... It's probably because of the AF... That being said, I wonder how much your spend threshold is for the bonus MR... If it's pretty high, I would say put every single dollar through it to get that bonus!! Also, that $550 AF will hit on your first statement, so watch out for that!! No freebies! 0 out your airline credit early on by buying gift cards with the airline of your choice. Platinum is cute, but unless you're in the air, that card isn't going to do you much good. It is a travel card, plain and simple. 

I had one while it was still 450 and I cancelled it right before I would've had to pay the 550.

One other note, maybe you can downgrade it to the Gold after you've had it a while. Gold is better. I have the Gold (formerly Premier Rewards) and I love that card! 

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I travel a decent amount so i will use the perks
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both were soft pulls, as i already had a Amex delta gold SkyMiles
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet! What a nice surprise! Congrats on your Amex Platinum approval!Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 24
xiocc
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Good ole random Amex logic at work im guessing? Could be the AF... who knows with them hahahah Enjoy It!!!!

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to spend $5000 in 3months to get the bonus 60,000pts, i can do that, and the AF is higher that’s why i preferred the gold, but it is what it is 🤷🏿‍♂️...i also wanted a charge card for daily use to keep my util on my other cards low without having to watch for credit reporting dates , i can jus spend and pif with platinum
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I now have every cc that i wanted and I’m still only at 656 FICO , i will just now garden for 18months and let them grow

Amex platinum-NPSL
Amex delta gold 1K
NFCU flagship 15k
Nfcu cash rewards 3k
BOA cash rewards 2k
Cap one platinum 3k
Cap one journey 2k
Nordstrom visa 500
Neiman Marcus 2k
Bloomingdales 500
Discover secured 200

All of these cards are less than a year old, besides the discover secured& the cap one cards
Message 17 of 24
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

That’s weird but still good. Congrats!
AU

Message 18 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy quite a lineup for past year, garden time will do wonders for yaSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 24
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

0 out your airline credit early on by buying gift cards with the airline of your choice. Platinum is cute, but unless you're in the air, that card isn't going to do you much good. It is a travel card, plain and simple. 

This is no longer good advice--Amex has pretty effectively shut down the giftcard loophole on all airline credits.

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.