Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Amex comeback story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another Amex comeback story

I’ve been on quite the roller coaster during the past 10 years. In 2008 I filed Bk and burned an Amex Blue for students. Since bankruptcy I’ve been on a few highs and lows and over the past 2 years have really started taking my credit more seriously and follow this forum almost religiously. I am platinum with SPG/ Marriott and have wanted the Amex for a long time. Well with the apps for the entry-level card closing tomorrow I finally pulled the trigger and was approved! Low staring line of 1k but I’m totally fine with that and am so happy to have my foot back in the door. I tried to double app for the Gold card and was denied. I was told by the rep that it was 2 hard pulls which I’m a little upset about but hope they don’t take the 2 apps as a red flag. My Experian score they pulled was pretty low as I just paid off a good percentage of debt but it hasn’t posted. My ex score was 649 and only 1 inquiry so I guess I can afford the 2nd pull just hate I wasted it. Current utilization hovering around 78% but will be 10-20% by the end of the month. Hopefully in 90days or 6 months I’ll get an offer for the gold or my dream card of the platinum. I am over the moon excited! 🤗 Thanks to all the regulars who have taught me so much! Back to the garden I go.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another Amex comeback story

Cool story. Congratulations! MN, you're back in the game.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks James_A! It took a long time to realize the journey to good credit is a marathon and not a sprint. Hoping to keep growing slow and steady. One more data point for everyone I applied via the SPG app. Still in shock I was approved but so happy.
Message 3 of 16
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval! Slow and steady wins the race, you're doing great so far, keep it up!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

COngrats on your approval and good luck in your journey !!!

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome! Congratulations, OP. Welcome (back) to the Fam 👏🏾
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm.. hope for me yet. Congrats!!!

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP! I burned AMEX in the late 90s and didn't get back in until 2017.  Definitely be happy that they have given you another chance, and don't waste it! Meet the minimum spend, PIF, and you'll reap the benefits before you know it after your UTI has been updated.  I wouldn't be surprised if in 30 days you might get a pre-approval message on the Gold Card and hopefully when you do app for it, it'll be an SP only as you're an established customer.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 16
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

Nice comeback. CONGRATS! Smiley Wink

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 9 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Nice way to go and congrats on your SPG approval OP. Glad to hear you were able to reestablish your relationship with AmEx.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.