Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Walmart Store card to Walmart Discover card question. -sorry-

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Another Walmart Store card to Walmart Discover card question. -sorry-

@armbenderc wrote:

At the Walmart Credit card site, my FICO is 699.

well my walmart fico was 738 when i got the card. 

and was only approved for the store version. 

from what ive read some people see upgrades in a year some havent in 3

ymmv but i wish the best for you. 

and btw ive been getting discover pre approvals up the ying yang lateley.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 11 of 43
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I just got the upgrade offer, and have had the card since 7/07. Card started with a $600 limit, and through regular CLI requests, was at $4500 limit. They gave me a CLI to $4600 with the upgrade. My current scores are in my signature.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 12 of 43
flowfaster
Established Contributor

I got my card in Sep 2011 too and no upgrade offer here. Although my CL has ballooned from $400 to 10K in 1 year.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 13 of 43
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:
I got my card in Sep 2011 too and no upgrade offer here. Although my CL has ballooned from $400 to 10K in 1 year.

From $400 to 10K in 1 year ? Did you spend a grand a month there. Nice.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 14 of 43
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I think that for this particular card, you need to use it regularly (i.e. monthly)  to get increases. I was using mine every 2-3 months, spending $50-100 at a time, then PIF. I think this is why it took me so long to get CLI'd to $4.6k and the upgrade. With other GE Cards (Dillard's AMEX, for example), with the same amount of use the card went from a $700CL to $7.5k in just over a year.

I have read many posts where they turn down CLI's for "not enough experience at current credit level" which is code for you haven't been using the card.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 15 of 43
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You should call every 4 mos for a CLI. If they give you an auto-CLI, then you need to wait 4 mos after that. I tried to CLI a few mos after an auto-CLI and was denied for not enough time at current CL. They also won't CLI a new acct -- usually until after 4 mos; though they auto-CLId me after 3 (and numerous denials via the automated system!)

I was lucky w/Old Navy. Got it in March last year and CLI'd every 4 mos. In April or May of this year, I got the offer to upgrade and jumped on it.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why someone gets an upgrade offer and others don't. The time w/current card is likely a factor, but I believe they also look at your CR when they soft you throughout the year. My CR is much better now than when I first got the ON card last March. So, the upgrade offer makes sense in that way. I rarely used the ON store card, so it wasn't heavy use that triggered the upgrade. I also never carried a balance on it, either.

I got WM last Nov for $300 CL and am currently at $2k after CLIs. I'm hoping that on my anniv they will offer me upgrade to Discover, but who knows what make them tick?! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 16 of 43
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

I think most people have credit lines of 2000 +  and ficos 700+ and have card over year. That was also when I got mine. Last Christmas season (Nov and Dec) they were handing out the upgrades like candy for the Holidays. So hold on guys.

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 17 of 43
sarahlaila
Established Member

Does the upgrade require a hard pull?
Message 18 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just upgraded on Tuesday, and no hard pull.

Message 19 of 43
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

At the Walmart Credit card site, my FICO is 699.

well my walmart fico was 738 when i got the card. 

and was only approved for the store version. 

from what ive read some people see upgrades in a year some havent in 3

ymmv but i wish the best for you. 

and btw ive been getting discover pre approvals up the ying yang lateley.

Really ? I had a store card but closed it a while back. I applied again recently because i wanted a Discover option and i got it with 680ish TU at the time. I had the store card for a year and got no upgrade though

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.