cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone experienced this with PenFed? VERY WEIRD!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone experienced this with PenFed? VERY WEIRD!!

Hi everyone,

I applied for the PenFed AMEX in early October and denied.  Applied for the Visa Rewards late October and denied, approved on recon (had to send a recon letter).

This morning, I got the approval emails and my card shows in my account, the card is an AMEX and I applied for the Visa.

Does PenFed defaults to the very first application? I don't want the AMEX as it is not accepted everywhere.

Anyone?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone experienced this with PenFed? VERY WEIRD!!

No I have never heard of that happening. But, you can call them and they will fix it for you. Be forewarned that the Amex may show up closed on your report once you get correct acct opened. But, since it was their mistake, they will remove it.

Fyi, I have never had an issue with Amex not being accepted anywhere. Back in the day yes. But, not now.
Message 2 of 19
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats I would take the Amex !! Lol
Message 3 of 19
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Congrats I would take the Amex !! Lol

I had the Travel Rewards Amex from PenFed, and unless you travel a lot that card is pretty worthless in my opinion. 

Message 4 of 19
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Ahhh I see , I wasn't aware of the rewards not being worth it ,.I was actually trying to make a joke saying that I would take it if they don't want it hahaha
Message 5 of 19
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

Congrats on getting approved for...whatever you actually got approved for...haha!

Maybe a Visa will come in the mail later this week...

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with PenFed.  They want to pull another CR for the Visa. This is bs! Th I do have the recon letter stating the Visa not the AMEX.

Will call back and talk to a supervisor next, had to get back to the office. The AMEX is worthless to me as I don't travel much. 

Message 7 of 19
baller4life
Super Contributor

That is ridiculous! Absolutely talk to a supervisor when you call back. PCs are done all the time without a hp. And besides this was THEIR mistake not yours! If they refuse to transfer you, email the Loan Dept directly:

info@hq.penfed.org
Message 8 of 19
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Plus aren't they supposed to use the same pull for 90 days ? Don't take that answer , speak to a supervisor
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, no luck after speaking with another rep and the loan supervisor. They keep insisting that there was never an app for the Visa, only the AMEX. The lady said she needs my approval for a HP to apply for the Visa... "absolutely not!" I guess the recon letter stating that I wanted the Visa clearly didn't help....it says on there people! Visa not AMEX.

This really sucks! That's why I downgraded my AMEX Platinum, because I don't travel as much, the PRG Gold is best for me for gas/groceries/restaurants (2x) and that is why I applied for the PenFed Visa, to get 5x on gas.

This card is only going to help me on the debt to credit ratio with the $10k CL I was given, that's it. Going to use it twice a month just because.

I remember reading a comment here about someone who requested a CLI on their PenFed card, and to their surprise, the system generated another card with a $15k CL (I think) rather than adding it to the existing card he requested the CLI to. I think he ended up keeping both rather than getting them to merge...obviously a glitch on my application as well.

😡 No 5x/$1 on gas for me.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.