Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App spree -- Discover and Citi Costco Approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App spree -- Discover and Citi Costco Approvals

I closed on my home last month and now have been on a bit of a CC app spree. I went through quite a bit of financial messiness about 10 years ago with the crash of the housing market and then a financially messy divorce.  I had a foreclosure and about $100K in CC debt go into charge off status due largely to my ex-husband's financial practices that he was ordered to repay, but didn't.  I have no idea what my credit scores were at their worst, but I would guess low 400s after having 780+ credit for most of my adult life.  It took me a few years to even begin to face the reality of my credit situation, but I started working hard about a year ago to rebuild.  Many of the badies fell off within the last year or so.  Last April, I got my first secured Cap1 CC with a $200 CL (bumped up to $500 after 6 on time payments) - FICO 8 scores were in the mid- to upper-500s.  In October, I got an unsecured Cap1 CC with a $500 limit (bumped up to $750 after 6 on time payment) -- FICO 8 scores were in the low-600s.  

Between October 2018 and May 2019, my FICO 8 scores went up to the high 600s/low 700s due to some very good advice here.  I got a great rate on my mortgage.  Once I closed on my house, I decided to apply for a few CC (largely for the rewards associated with them).  Here are the results:

Citi Costco Anywhere - $7000 limit.  Immediate online apporoval. (HP EX 685 and EQ 702)

Discover IT - $12,000 limit.  I was nervous about this one because I had a fairly high Discover balance CO back in approx. 2011.  I did not get immediate online approval and received a message to call in.  I thought for sure I was going to get a denial, but after I verified a few pieces of information, I was approved! (HP EQ 700 and EX 677)

AmEx - Denied.  I was pretty sure I was on the blacklist due to a prior CO, but because they don't do a hard pull in that situation, I applied after pre-approval just to see.  Immediate denial and then I received a call from AmEx re my prior CO.  Ugh.

Chase Sapphire Preferred -- Still waiting.  I initially got an email saying that they would be back in touch soon with a decision, then a 30 day message when I called in.  The 30 day message changed to a 7-10 day message after a couple of days, which from what I have read means a likely denial.  I called a spoke with someone who said that they needed to verify some information, which I provided, then she said I would hear in a couple of weeks.  The message when I call in still says 7-10 days, so no idea what that means.  At this point I'm expecting a denial, but I guess time will tell.  (HP EX 678)

Regardless, I'm very happy with the Disco and Citi approvals and have gotten what I was looking for - to increase my credit lines and have some rewards associated with the cards.  So back to the garden for me.

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: App spree -- Discover and Citi Costco Approvals

COngratulations on your new home and successful rebuild thus far.  Those approvals are solid!  Can only go up from here! 

Message 2 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on your approvals there

Message 3 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

"I'm very happy with the Disco and Citi approvals and have gotten what I was looking for - to increase my credit lines and have some rewards associated with the cards."

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new cards, and congrats on the new home!!
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals!

Message 6 of 15
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Those are sweet SLs! Congrats on those AND on the new home!!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals and the difficult comeback....keep up the good work.....Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations. Both are very nice SL. Wish Disco was that nice to me at the beginning. In another 6 months, you should be in a better position for another spree. GL.
Message 9 of 15
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new cards and new home!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.