Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Barclay Card Approval? UPDATED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Barclay Card Approval? UPDATED

Hi, 

I recently turned 18 and am looking into financing the iPhoneX through Apple's upgrade program. I obviosuly don't have any credit rating as I haven't ever had a credit card. I was considering opening a Barclay Visa Apple Rewards card in-store at Apple. Since I don't have any credit rating am I likely to be rejected? Would the hard inquiry affect my credit score even though I don't technically have one? I would only charge the $50 a month for the phone onto the card, and am good to pay it off on time, so I don't need a crazy limit. If I am very unlikely to be approved, does anyone have ideas on good starter cards? I'm not too concerned about interest rate at the moment, as I am perfectly happy sticking to mostly debit purchases and paying off the card in a timely manner. I'm not too interested in secured cards, but if that is the best option I may consider that, too. Thanks!

--UPDATE: I actually logged into Credit Karma and Transunion has my score as 565 due to my federal student loans, I know this is low but those loan accounts have good standing (I'm not quite sure how they couldn't as I don't start paying them off until 6 years post-grad). Even though this is low, I have seen some posts of people getting approved for a Barclay financing card from Apple with as low as 490. Like I said, I don't need a high CL, but I don't want the hard pull if I know they're going to reject me. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Credit Rating -- Apple Barclay Card Approval?

I’m no expert others here pry no better,  but I think your odds are low of being approved for that with no history,  think cap one and discover have student cards that might work. Or could you possibly have a parent apply for the card and add you as an authorized user?  I have cards with over 20k limits and over 700 score and 3 months ago Barclays only approved me for a 1k limit on their Uber card.  But maybe they just don’t like me

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Credit Rating -- Apple Barclay Card Approval?

Hi, 

I did update with new info, even though my score is low (565) is this usually still grounds for immediate rejection? Not to pry but everything else I've read seems pretty ambiguous about this card. Like I said, I'm new to all of this and am just trying to get a feel for things. I have heard some concerning things from family members about cap one, but then again, they're no experts. Have you had negative/any experience(s) with cap one/discover cards in the past?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apple Barclay Card Approval? UPDATED

Loans in deferral typically continue to accrue interest all those years, so your "current balance" on them will likely be higher than the "original balance" which might have a negative aspect to FICO scoring.

You should get yourself 2 secured cards now and pay them in full.  You shouldn't be financing an iPhoneX at this stage in your life if you don't have enough savings to pay off any new debts right away.  Lots of people go credit crazy at 18 and then at 21 they're on these boards asking for help so BE CAUTIOUS with new credit.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like somebody else just posted an approval for 2k with low 600s score,  think your best bet to apply would be doing it in store they might be more lenient, since they know your there to buy,  worst case is they deny you and cost a hp which really wont hit anything,

Message 5 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good luck as you begin your credit journey. Welcome to the forum tooSmiley Happy

For reference, this is not the correct forum for this kind of question. You can post approval chances in apps subforum. This section is for approvals only.

You should try to get a secured card or 2 to start building your credit or check with your local bank or CU as wellSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.