AAoA: 13 months

Total Util: 3% Utilising AZEO method

Oldest Account: 25 months

Youngest Account: 4 months

No bad remarks on my credit report

Cards Applied For:

Amex Mercedes Benz Platinum Charge Card:

Approved

No special treatment.  First charge card with Amex.  I am currently holding two revolvers with them in perfect standing.

I am taking advantage of the 60k points offer before this card is closed and converted into the vanilla platinum starting 2019.  Data points suggest that even if I do not close the card and it is rolled into a vanilla version, I am still eligible for signup bonuses should I ever apply for a non-branded version of the card.  Should I close the card, I will move my points to my Everyday revolver.  Long term plan is to wait for the vanilla platinum to get back to a 100k signup offer.

Discover it Cash Back:

Approved

APR: 13.74% (0% first 14 months)

Credit Limit: $5,000

Ironically this card has a lower APR compared to my previous Discover card, and has a higher limit.  I requested that the APR and limit on my first card be matched to my new one, but they were unable to approve either request.  Go figure.

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard:

Denied

Too many recent inquiries

Lack of installment loan history

I took this to mean that they simply did not like how young my credit file is.

Calling recon yielded no change in decision. 

Hopefully this helps others looking for datapoints on these cards.  Feel free to ask additional questions.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Application Results

Congrats on your approvals! 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your APR on discover It is really good with starting limits. I got only $1000 SL and i didnt want the card with 24% APR

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Your APR on discover It is really good with starting limits. I got only $1000 SL and i didnt want the card with 24% APR

I am extremely happy with it.  My first card is sitting at 18.99% so it was quite a shock to me.  Don't feel bad though, hover over my Amex cards in my signature to see what pain looks like.  Both of those are over 20%.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals! You may end up finding the AmEx platinum travel rewards better than citi AA anyway. Let's see what 2019 brings you. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Congrats on your approvals! You may end up finding the AmEx platinum travel rewards better than citi AA anyway. Let's see what 2019 brings you. 

I'm interested to see this as well.  Only time will tell, but the thought is in my mind already.

Message 7 of 10
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

I used the Platinum last year to get Hamilton tix presale through Conceirge and then flip them to cover way more than the annual fee. Other than that, $550 was tough for me to stomach just for a fancy card. It was fun to whip out and fast food employees will always compliment it but after cancelling it about 6-8 months ago, it appears to me that everyone seems to have it on this board. Im inclined to believe it doesnt have any more difficulty than a green card for approval. They just want to collect the $550. I will say, I probably used close to all $200 uBer credits haha.

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the data points, and Congratulations on your new cards!!

Best of luck to you!!

Message 9 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Not sure if its partly due to the CARD act 1 year thing.. or discover policy but NO APR reductions during the 0% promo period... presume it applies to even new accounts.... Youll be able to ask for an APR reduction then ... And sometimes they auto-decrease the APR even from the "offer APR".. not sure nowadays.. but as soon as my 1 year was up the next statement APR was lower than the approval APR and i chatted about an APR decrease and got it.. (Even though i do realize your trying on your first card... i still think the new second card is the reason why they wont play with it. could try transferring the limit on the first one but its tricky.. read the forums.  one of the cards needs to be eligible for a CLI to do the transfer.. but not sure if its donor or recipient).. 

@Anonymouswrote:

Pre-Application Credit Conditions:

All scores between 735-742

Experian: 10 HP's

Transunion: 8 HP's

Equifax: 3 HP's

AAoA: 13 months

Total Util: 3% Utilising AZEO method

Oldest Account: 25 months

Youngest Account: 4 months

No bad remarks on my credit report

Cards Applied For:

Amex Mercedes Benz Platinum Charge Card:

Approved

No special treatment.  First charge card with Amex.  I am currently holding two revolvers with them in perfect standing.

I am taking advantage of the 60k points offer before this card is closed and converted into the vanilla platinum starting 2019.  Data points suggest that even if I do not close the card and it is rolled into a vanilla version, I am still eligible for signup bonuses should I ever apply for a non-branded version of the card.  Should I close the card, I will move my points to my Everyday revolver.  Long term plan is to wait for the vanilla platinum to get back to a 100k signup offer.

Discover it Cash Back:

Approved

APR: 13.74% (0% first 14 months)

Credit Limit: $5,000

Ironically this card has a lower APR compared to my previous Discover card, and has a higher limit.  I requested that the APR and limit on my first card be matched to my new one, but they were unable to approve either request.  Go figure.

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard:

Denied

Too many recent inquiries

Lack of installment loan history

I took this to mean that they simply did not like how young my credit file is.

Calling recon yielded no change in decision. 

Hopefully this helps others looking for datapoints on these cards.  Feel free to ask additional questions.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.