Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application strategy / mini app spree

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application strategy / mini app spree

I'd like to open a card account for a balance transfer. 

My short list is currently the Citi Diamond preferred which has an 18 month 0% balance transfer offer and the Discover IT card which has a 14 month 0% balance transfer offer.

I have a Discover IT account with 8k SL which is just over 12 months old.

I have a Citi Double Cash account with 6k SL which is also just over 12 months old.

The other accounts I have currently:
BoA cash rewards 5k SL

AMEX Magnet 9k SL 

AMEX Everyday 9k SL

Chase Freedom 3k SL

NFCU Cash rewards 8k SL

NFCU More rewards 19k SL 

My FICO Bankcard 8:
Eq: 796
Tu: 745
Ex: 764

My FICO score 8: 

Eq: 796
Tu: 729

Ex: 757

My current utilization is ~22%

The 18 month offer on the Citi card is defiintely the better offer, but I'm also considering the odds of approval.  I'm looking for suggestions on which application to pull the trigger on.  I ran through the Discover pre-approval process and it did come back 'approved' but this is subject to a full applicatoin and hard pull.

I also have a pending approval of the Apple card with a 10k SL @ 15.99%.  I'll probably pull the trigger on this card if I get approved for either the Citi or Discover card.  This would account would be entirely for padding my utilization. 

What do y'all think??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Application strategy / mini app spree

Good Luck

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO your scores shouldn't be the problem; though your Util might with any new creditor and no existing relationship. There's been others who certainly have had success with it, but keep in mind that everyone's profile is different with income and % of avail credit. If you can, maybe even bring Util down to < 20%.

Have you considered NFCU Platinum? Currently they have an intro 0% for 12 months on BT (5.99-18% Purchase APR; no rewards). I thought it would be worth the consideration since you already have NFCU products. They tend to be more generous with their credit lines, and lenient to their applicants. Though I wouldn't count on it if you're already carrying large balances on your other NFCU cards. If that's the case, Discover historically has been more lenient than CITI. But I agree with you that CITI is the better offer. Best of luck!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Citi card and was instantly denied. 🤷‍♂️

I was approved for:

2nd Discover card at 10k

Apple Card at 10k

NFCU Platinum at 21k

Overall, feeling pretty good. Time to let's things cool off on the HPs for now and let these cards age a bit before I go back to the well in 90+ days for some CLIs. 🤑

Message 4 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was approved for:

2nd Discover card at 10k

Apple Card at 10k

NFCU Platinum at 21k

Overall, feeling pretty good. Time to let's things cool off on the HPs for now and let these cards age a bit before I go back to the well in 90+ days for some CLIs. 🤑

Congratulations on your Approvals!

Message 5 of 8
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

7bff8670a655a8d11963a74b6defc0c1.gif

Message 6 of 8
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your successes!!

Message 7 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was approved for:

2nd Discover card at 10k

Apple Card at 10k

NFCU Platinum at 21k

Congratulations on your approvals!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.