Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for navy fcu card

tag
Chache
Valued Member

Applied for navy fcu card

Hard pull by transunion 700 credit score, credit limit $700 apr 18% can i decline that or is this what they open up most new account limits at

Thanks
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applied for navy fcu card

Congrats on your approval! You didn't state which card you got but any amount will grow with NFCU! 

Message 2 of 14
Chache
Valued Member

The platinum card feel like i wasted a hard pull for $700 my score was 700 no lates no derog
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There must be something they didn’t like. Do you have high utilization of other cards, high DTI? Navy is very generous if you have low DTI but they become less generous the higher your DTI goes. 18% APR in addition to $700 definitely screams that they find something about your profile very risky. 

As for canceling the card, I wouldn’t. As soon as you get approved, you have opened a new account. It will report and your age of accounts will take a hit. I would just use it and then at 91/3 ask for a CLI or second card. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your utilization and/or DTI must be high for a low SL and the highest apr. Lates/derogs don’t hold as much weight with Navy lol. Don’t close the card, if anything you can send them a secured message to recon the decision. If they deny you don’t be bummed out, as long as you are responsible with the card you got, you should be able to get a big CLI or a high limit second card in 91/3. Regardless it is still an approval so congrats, just being able to start a relationship is sometimes the win!
Message 5 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

NFCU cards grow quickly, give them a chance to see your "responsible" usage and I'd be surprised if that $700 CL doesn't turn into a $10k one fairly quick. 

You might check out the mega-NFCU thread which documents the process from a lot of MyFico members (with NFCU).

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldnt look too far into the SL. There is so much more to getting an approval then just a FICO score. I've preached about this in prior threads but I will say that my wife got 1k SL and the reason behind it was her lack of previous CU relationships....smh I know... her score is approaching 700s.

On the forums there is a lot of huge SLs rolling around. I, myself just got a monster but it was after 90 days of treating my first card like a brand new baby kitten. With tender loving PIF care. lol

YMMV but stick with Navy and youll be 30k revolving credit deep with them in no time. Just my 2 cents.

Message 7 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

700 fico does not equate to automatic huge cli fyi.
Message 8 of 14
Chache
Valued Member

Appreciate the responses my util is at 28% and my debt to income is is pretty good also, i do have 2 credit cards that are maxed out but overall my utilization is 25-28% i dont know if that makes a difference just was suprised i was approved for 8k with penfed and $700 with the highest interest with navy, the reason i went for the platinum card was to do a balance transfer so basically the card is useless because its not enough to transfer anything to
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two cards maxed out and utilization of around 28% will do it. That may also throw your DTI over NFCU’s comfort zone.

NFCU is in no way a score-based approver. That’s why folks with 500-some scores can land big approvals. It’s the meat and potatoes of the report and your current financial picture that count with them.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.