cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for new credit cards

tag
Robert0769d

Applying for new credit cards

Hello all, I have an average credit score of 780, 1% credit utilization, 0 late/derogatory/collections and income is over 100k with no mortgage or car payment.

I have American Express blue cash and business both 3 years old, aadvantage 1.5 years old and Amazon 4 months old all paid on time in full.

Equifax and Trans Union I have 3 hard inquiries. Experian I have 11. 6 of them are things like cable, electric bill and rental credit accounts for renting stuff. 3 are me requesting a credit increase from Amex and aadvantage which were all approved to $20k.

I decided to apply for Chase Freedom and Discover It. Both denied me saying too many inquiries.

I was totally surprised both said this as I was under the impression that inquiries are a small part when you have an excellent track record.

Am I just unlucky? I think it's pretty dumb that inquiries like cable bills and stuff are considered
AAoA 2 years, 0 Late/Derogatory/Collections, AVG score 750
Amex Blue Cash (20k), Amex Lowe's Business (20k), Alliant Signature (15k), PayPal Cashbacks (12k), Amazon Store Card (10k), AAdvantage World Elite (4,200), Chase Freedom (2,500)
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Applying for new credit cards

I don't know Discover's policy regarding recons but did you call Chase in attempts to recon and explain the increase in inquiries? You coud HUCA a few times with them and see if you can find a more favorable outcome.

Message 2 of 25
Robert0769d

I did explain that the inquiries are for credit increases not applications as well as cable bills and such. They did a reconsideration and still denied. What do you mean HUCA?
Amex Blue Cash (20k), Amex Lowe's Business (20k), Alliant Signature (15k), PayPal Cashbacks (12k), Amazon Store Card (10k), AAdvantage World Elite (4,200), Chase Freedom (2,500)
Message 3 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Robert0769d wrote:
I did explain that the inquiries are for credit increases not applications as well as cable bills and such. They did a reconsideration and still denied. What do you mean HUCA?

Hang Up Call Again and see if you can catch an agent who is having a good day to push the approval through

Message 4 of 25
Robert0769d

Trying now
Message 5 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Robert0769d, welcome to the forums.

Just an item to keep in mind, if after a few attempts with Chase it becomes a "no-go", then the results won't change. Often times they place notes on the system when you call.

For Discover, no reconsideration avenue, unfortunately. Their decisions are system-driven and cannot be manually overridden.
Message 6 of 25
Robert0769d

Yes I agree, after a few attempts it's probably pointless. This time I nicely explained everything and also nicely explained that with my history and banking with them for over 10 years, if they don't want my business then I'll take all my funds out and go to another bank. Nasty but when my wife, who also banks with them, has a 690 score vs my 780 and she has late payments, more inquiries and they approved her.. kinda nasty but oh well..

So they just told me they approved the freedom card. They said they can't find my business profile for the Ink Cash so I'm going to bring my business taxes and Amex business card in to the branch and see if that helps
Message 7 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

OP, any mention of inquiries is usually synonymous with that dreaded "credit seeking' sentence 

You have relatively thin file as your business card does not show on personal CR, if that Amazon card is issued by Chase you just got a card from them, then there is  a flurry of recent activity. Enough to spook Disco, and they even favor thinner profiles. 

If the call you're on right now does not result in denial being overturned, it's really a message to slow down for a bit. You dont have anything that 6 months of non applying cannot cure. 

Good luck 

Message 8 of 25
Robert0769d

Freedom was approved, business needs proof.

The Amazon card is with synchrony

Thank you very much for convincing me to HUTA 😁
Message 9 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.