Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval - DiscoverIT, Amex BCE & Citi Costco

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approval - DiscoverIT, Amex BCE & Citi Costco

I've been researching and comparing cards for a few weeks now in order to maximize cashback where we spend the most & to step up from my collection of graduated secured and starter cards after years of rebuilding my credit. This initially meant Discover IT for upcoming amazon & target 5% plus end of 1st year double cash. I ended up going on a small spree after getting a huge boost of confidence from my first instant approval netting a huge (for me) SL.

My fico8 scores & credit profile at time of application: EQ 676 TU 648 EX 668, utilization below 5% across 4 cards with total CL of $15480, aaoa 5yrs (7 on TU), 1 inquiry & 3 baddies all medical collections I had ignored but recently pif & reported paid-closed. No late payments on existing open accounts. 2 closed cards, 1 at my request & one by creditor Cap1 with late payment 90 days. Before applying all my cards had started life as $1k and below limited secured or starter cards with low-mid 20% aprs that had be auto & requested CLI'd a few times over the years to a max CL of $6500.

My first application was for a Discover IT. Pre-approved on discover and applied for IT card from those results. Instant approval with a credit limit of $10k. Holy crap! I had good expectations for approval but this was above and beyond my expectations, nearly $4k above any existing cards. Immediately emboldened & figuring I'd already taken one inquiry I decided to roll the dice again.

This time I applied for my runner up to the Discover and the card that I actually wanted most even if it didn't benefit me the most immediately, the Amex blue everyday. I have wanted an Amex card since I was a teenager back when they introduced the blue cards in the 90s and have always been denied. Recently I started getting pre approvals in the mail for Amex which told me my credit was on the way up. Pre-qualified on Amex's site and applied for BCE from those results. Instant approval with credit limit of $5k, apr around 16% after promo.

In shock over two instant approvals for far beyond what I expected I figured what the hell I got more than anticipated so one more inquiry wouldn't matter much if denied since I'll be gardening for at least the next 6-12mo. Applied for Citi Costco,  pre-qualified on Citi but Costco wasn't presented in results so I applied directly. Again instant approval with a credit limit of $5.5k!

My results were entirely unexpected & I was surprised by the amount of pride and sense of self worth that came from being considered this credit worthy. Amex especially, I NEVER thought I'd hold one even when I had ok credit. After wrecking my credit in 2008 with multiple 120 day late payments resulting in 4 closures and many collections while I drank myself stupid and chased Oxycontin, I couldn't even get some secured cards let alone a starter card or loan. 7 years of credit repair later I find myself a happily married stay home parent with a precocious 2 year old and a capable credit profile. Even as recently as earlier this year I've been terrified to have my name on any of our major loans, purchases & leases as I didn't want my history wrecking our chances of rates since the wife's got stellar history. This approval trifecta gives me a huge boost in confidence that I can attach my name to a home loan when we look to buy in the next 3-5 years. I couldn't have done it without the help of all of you sharing your tips & experiences. Thank you!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
cleanitup
Regular Contributor

Re: Approval - DiscoverIT, Amex BCE & Citi Costco

Congrats, way to go.  

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Simply fantastic job. Your perserverance is inspiringSmiley Happy. Those are really great opening lines. Discover really wants youyoull be on the road to a 20k probably within a year. Amex you can look forward to 15k within 61 days to 6 months and then maybe 30k+. Costco will grow through sp increases. Once they start approving those every 6 months . Now take care of thiese and you will be stellar in a years time. Excellent spree, enjoy it and wish you the best on getting your future homeSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to myFICO and Congrats!!!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!
Message 5 of 12
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!!!  What a great testimony to how discipline and reaching out for help when needed (this forum) can help you fix things...  I completely understand your shock on the Amex approval... same thing happened for me... I was so shocked, I couldn't even enjoy it Smiley Very Happy  

Your post is very inspiring.  Not only have you overcome difficult credit woes, but you have overcome the hard times (addiction) in your life!      ****YOU ARE WINNING!!!!  Congratulations!!!  

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 6 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats there!

Message 7 of 12
geekmama
Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals and your recovery.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Three great cards with great SLs! Congrats!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent!! Congratualtions on your approvals!!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.