cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval Success with Navy Fed CU and PenFed!

tag
TXBeliever
Established Member

Approval Success with Navy Fed CU and PenFed!

Hello, all,

I've been a member of this site for years, and have learned lots of great information from everyone sharing their stories, tips, and watchouts.  I had some some pretty tough credit issues about 10 years ago, and have been on a process to come out from that.  I worked hard to rebuild and five years ago, was able to build my first home five years ago.  Since that time, I had a couple of setbacks due to one CC that I was 30 days late on twice, simply because I forgot to pay the bill (being super busy with work)! Silly mistake I know.  My credit took a deep hit from that and I've been yet again trying to rebuild from that.  Right now my FICO 8 scores are: EQ 629 TU 635 EX 642.

One of the issues I'm trying to tackle now is reducing my utilization, so I decided yesterday to apply for some additional credit to get access to more credit limits and reduce my overall utilization % while also paying down existing cards.  I joined Navy Federal as a member back in 2017, applied for the flagship card at that time and got denied, even after recon.  Yesterday, I decided to try again since I've had a relationship with them for a while now.  Applied for the CashRewards card and immediately got approved for $20K!!  I was very shocked and grateful!  I've been reading on here about the 91/3 process for a CLI so once that time hits I plan to ask for a CLI on this card and apply for a 2nd card.

I also went ahead and applied for membership at PenFed, since I've read over the years how happy everyone is with them.  I was immediately approved to be member, so I decided to try for a couple of cards there too.  I applied for both the Power Cash Rewards card and the Promise card.  Both of my applications went under review with UW, so I got a little nervous that I got a little too zealous with the apps.  I hoped my hard pull was not going to be for nothing.  Hours later, I received text messages that I had been approved for both cards!  Granted, the CL is only $1000 for each of them (I was hoping for higher), but I'm in now and have the chance to get CLIs over time!  So, I got $22K worth of additional credit in one day.  I'd say that was a success. I'm going to stop there for now. I will charge lightly and PIF each month on these to help me with CLIs later, while paying down my other cards.  I just wanted to share my story in case it helps someone here.  Good luck to everyone!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approval Success with Navy Fed CU and PenFed!

Congrats on the approvals !
Message 2 of 21
Rudy1
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approvals.
>
Goal Cards:
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good stuff, TX -- thanks for sharing your story.

And Congrats! on your approvals. 

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 21
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 🎉🎊🎈 @TXBeliever on your approvals. GL to you

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!
Message 7 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

An excellent double play!
Message 8 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!
Message 9 of 21
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.