Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approvals: Chase IHG, US Bank Altitude, and Merrill+

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Approvals: Chase IHG, US Bank Altitude, and Merrill+

Edit #2: TLDR: Approved for Chase IHG $2k, US Bank Altitude $21.2k, Merrill+ $12k. 

Hello folks!

Reporting on two new approvals. 

My last app couplet was on Apr 01.

After a 4 1/2 months break, I decided to apply again. I have some big spending lined up.

So I applied for the Chase IHG and the US Bank Altitude Reserve about 10 days ago.  

None were instant approvals. 

First, I called Chase. Using the backdoor numbers given on this forum.

I was told there's some discrepancy in the address. Well, I had moved a couple of months ago, and only last month did I change the address on all of my bank accounts. My CRs probably all showed my old address, and the nice lady on the phone couldn't verify me. 

Oh, and my EX was frozen initially. I did call only after unfreezing it. Well now it has 9 inquiries, 6 of which are less than a year old. Why nobody uses TU .... 

Anyway, the lady asked me to take my address proof (DL) to the nearest Chase branch. I went next day. They scanned it to their internal system. When I called back to check, I was told that the scan didn't go through properly. Arrghhh!

I went the next day. Again, they scanned. And they also faxed. I called in afterwards. This new lady ran some more internal checks and what not, and came back with, wait for it, $2,000. 

Yes, I didn't forget one zero. After my CSR approval of $25k+, I was kind of shocked. But I think I hit the ceiling with Chase for my income and scores. My stated income is $85k and Chase has a total exposure of $43,100 (including the IHG). 

The reason I am not moving some of my existing line is that every time I had done that with my other cards, I had not seen any auto CLI from Chase near the 6 month mark, which had happened with my first two cards with them: the Slate and the Freedom. I want to test with the IHG: heavy use and PIF for 4-5 months. Overall, it's a long-term card, from the looks of it.

The card arrived in a non-descript envelope. Well who cares. 

Next, US Bank.

I am a current US Bank customer. Only credit cards though. My oldest one is an REI Visa that started at $1k, then over time has been converted by them to an MC that currently has $8k CL. It was followed by a couple of Cash+, and then a misadventure called Club Carlson that really had no use given its paltry $1k limit. It grew to $2.5k but then I decided to get rid of it. Between their 3 cards, US Bank had an exposure of $29k.

I knew I was eligible. I also knew that I should freeze the "other" reports, ARS / IDA / Sagestream what not. I was too lazy. 

I took another hit on EX. It was the weekend. No point in trying to get answers.

I called the UW number on Monday that I have saved on my phone since my first Cash+ days, 3 years ago. I was put on "your call is very important to us" line for about 3 minutes and 37 seconds before I decided to hang up. Called a couple of days later, and the IVR told me I was approved. For how much? No clue. I wasn't going to hang around for the representative. 

I'd get to know when I get the card, I thought.

Well, the card arrived today, delivered in a sturdy box by UPS. The unboxing was fun, the metallic feeling was fun. The limit was fun too: $21,200. A $100 more than the current limit on their competition: the CSR.

I had to activate the card, though. And unlike other cards, they wanted me to call. So I called. And once again, in true US Bank standard, I was told to "hold on, as your call is very important to us."

Am I not paying $400? Can't they at least give me a robo-lady to tell me that my card has been activated? I guess some folks really want to hear a human voice but I would rather be on my way if Skynet could just activate my card. 

Brief rant over. Somewhere in there I've also shared my story.

My EX FICO as per AMEX is 776. 

Edited to add #1: Applied for Merrill+, had to wait for one day and a verification call, approved for $12k. As of now I don't know which report they pulled. Hopefully TU Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approvals: Chase IHG and US Bank Altitude

Awesome approvals! Enjoy your new US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite! You can swing with the swingers now Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 12
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approval! The Altitude sounds like a really nice card, too bad about that annual fee though. I think the next time I get an offer to open a checking account with them, I'll jump at it. I got an offer in the mail for the Edge business card, so maybe one day I'll get one for this one with an annual fee waiver (I know, when pigs fly, but a lady can dream can't she!). 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 3 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Awesome approvals! Enjoy your new US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite! You can swing with the swingers now Smiley Happy

Haha not sure if I consider myself a swinger though Smiley Happy

Trying my best to enjoy the card. The benefits site of US Bank is a bit clunky though.

So far, I prefer the UR rewards site the most. Much better integration overall. 

Message 4 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Congrats on your approval! The Altitude sounds like a really nice card, too bad about that annual fee though. I think the next time I get an offer to open a checking account with them, I'll jump at it. I got an offer in the mail for the Edge business card, so maybe one day I'll get one for this one with an annual fee waiver (I know, when pigs fly, but a lady can dream can't she!). 

Well I applied keeping in mind the annual fee. My goal is to offset it with the travel spend. However, after the first year, both the Altitude and the Prestige will undergo careful evaluation.

With the CSR, their straight 1.5cpp through the UR travel portal and having Southwest as a travel partner makes it a very easy call for me. Not so much with the Prestige. Let me evaluate the Altitude Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

Well I applied keeping in mind the annual fee. My goal is to offset it with the travel spend. However, after the first year, both the Altitude and the Prestige will undergo careful evaluation.

With the CSR, their straight 1.5cpp through the UR travel portal and having Southwest as a travel partner makes it a very easy call for me. Not so much with the Prestige. Let me evaluate the Altitude Smiley Happy

Careful about nose bleeds when at high altitudes Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

That's why pressurized cabins Smiley Very Happy

That said, I'd have some serious bonus to redeem on travel once I wrap up all the spend requirements.

Now I've to go meet $9.5k of spend in 3 months. Wokay here we go. 

Message 7 of 12
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

That's why pressurized cabins Smiley Very Happy

That said, I'd have some serious bonus to redeem on travel once I wrap up all the spend requirements.

Now I've to go meet $9.5k of spend in 3 months. Wokay here we go. 

Good luck Ghoshida!!

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 8 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Thanks LadyJEsq ! 

Message 9 of 12
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Approvals: Chase IHG, US Bank Altitude, and Merrill+

Awesome approvals!  Almost the exact same cards I'm targetting when I have a little spree next month.  Might go for the new BofA card when it launches instead of the Merrill+, but the Merrill+ card has that awesome sign-on bonus.

Congrats!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.