tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved AMEX Hhonors Surpass low CL $1k

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As thrilled as I am to be approved, I am discouraged about the $1k sl.  I have heard this is common and request a cli.  Should I wait until I get the card and try online, or call the new accounts/credit team now to ask for a cli.  I was hoping for at least $5k, considering the $3k spend for the 100k sign up bonus.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

You can request a CLI at any time but recently the vast majority of new accounts are being turned down prior to 90 days after activation. Posting scores, AAOA, Utility % and current CL on existing cards might yield better responses.

Thank you for the info.  I think I might try anyway.  I was hoping this card would match my AMEX ED card.

Just know if you request a CLI and are declined you won't be able to request another on for 91 days.

That is a very good point.  Maybe waiting for the 61 day mark is best?

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the AMEX Hilton but only for a CL of $1.4k in April 2016. I applied for a CLI when I received the card and was denied. I was told I had to wait until 61 days after my account was approved. 

I called back in June and received a CLI of 2x my CL so my CL is now $2.8k. I was hoping for 3x CLI as AMEX traditionally gives but oh well....

Message 12 of 35
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you !!!

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 13 of 35
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval, but sorry they gave the low limit.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was approved for the AMEX Hilton but only for a CL of $1.4k in April 2016. I applied for a CLI when I received the card and was denied. I was told I had to wait until 61 days after my account was approved. 

I called back in June and received a CLI of 2x my CL so my CL is now $2.8k. I was hoping for 3x CLI as AMEX traditionally gives but oh well....

Better than nothing I suppose :-)  It's too bad, it's a great card with great benefits but with these low limits (even with a 2x or 3x cli) make it tough to use.  To be 5 days is more than $1k usually.  I got this to book my work hotel stays but I can't with this limit.  Oh well.. still happy to get it and make it grow over time.

Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better than nothing I suppose :-)  It's too bad, it's a great card with great benefits but with these low limits (even with a 2x or 3x cli) make it tough to use.  To be 5 days is more than $1k usually.  I got this to book my work hotel stays but I can't with this limit.  Oh well.. still happy to get it and make it grow over time.

You should still use this card to book the hotel. They don't charge your card until you check in. Here is what I did on my latest vacation earlier this month.  I have the Surpass as well and only a $1k CL and I have the AMEX Hilton with a CL of $2.8k. So on my latest vacation I used my Surpass to make the reservation. When I arrived at the hotel I asked if I could pay for my stay up front. So I was able to charge $1k to my Surpass and the remaining balance on the AMEX Hilton. I also left my AMEX Hilton on file for incidentals. 

I was able to do this at a Hampton Inn. 

Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You should still use this card to book the hotel. They don't charge your card until you check in. Here is what I did on my latest vacation earlier this month.  I have the Surpass as well and only a $1k CL and I have the AMEX Hilton with a CL of $2.8k. So on my latest vacation I used my Surpass to make the reservation. When I arrived at the hotel I asked if I could pay for my stay up front. So I was able to charge $1k to my Surpass and the remaining balance on the AMEX Hilton. I also left my AMEX Hilton on file for incidentals. 

I was able to do this at a Hampton Inn. 

By making the reservation and paying the $1k, did you get the 12x points for the entire stay?

Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

By making the reservation and paying the $1k, did you get the 12x points for the entire stay?

I received 12x the points on the $1k I spent on my Surpass. I will earn 7x on the balance that I put on the AMEX Hilton. And this does not include the 46k in points I earned from the hotel stay itself. I booked the room rate with 2x the points and there was another summer promo I registered for 2x the points.  I also received a 500 point bonus for using a Hilton credit card to make the reservation. 

So all in I earned approx 60k in points from this one hotel stay. Not too shabby.

Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I received 12x the points on the $1k I spent on my Surpass. I will earn 7x on the balance that I put on the AMEX Hilton. And this does not include the 46k in points I earned from the hotel stay itself. I booked the room rate with 2x the points and there was another summer promo I registered for 2x the points.  I also received a 500 point bonus for using a Hilton credit card to make the reservation. 

So all in I earned approx 60k in points from this one hotel stay. Not too shabby.

WOW!! That is really impressive!! I am now wondering if I should app for the no AF version of this card too so I can do what you did.  If I got the bigger SL on that card, I could work the system too :-)  

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Regarding the CLI, I got my Delta card with a starting limited of 1k, I waited the 61 days and got the 3xCLI to 3k. I would definitely wait, it seems like AmEx are really enforcing the 61 day rule now.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.