Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved! Amex Delta Reserve!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved! Amex Delta Reserve!

I’ve had the itch for an elite card for a few weeks now. I think it came about after I got my Amex PR about a month ago. It was a toss up between upgrading from PR to Platinum or going with the Delta Reserve. If I was a solo traveler or traveled international, I probably would have gone with platinum. But, since my goal was to take my sons back to the east coast once a year to visit my parents, the companion certificate made the delta reserve a better choice. I’m going to keep the PR for the benefit of transferring points to delta miles and the CSP for my car travels.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Approved! Amex Delta Reserve!

Congrats and welcome to the forums!  While the signup bonus was better when I got the SkyMiles Platinum and DW got the SkyMiles Gold, I actually have a bit of remorse in not signing us both up for the Reserve since the time for those companion certificates would be coming around and it would have been nice to get four r/t domestic first tickets for the price of two.  Almost positive we'll both be upgrading.

Would you mind sharing any stats you care to divulge and the starting line?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval , any data points you can provide

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP!!

Why didn't you go for the Delta Platinum? that card also has an annual certificate and only $195 annual fee.

Message 4 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats OP!!

Why didn't you go for the Delta Platinum? that card also has an annual certificate and only $195 annual fee.

I don't want to speak for OP, but without the Amex Platinum charge card, the difference in AF gets you Delta Sky Club access and a better Miles Boost and MQM bonus for spend.  Also, as I mentioned, I have a bit of app remorse since Platinum only gets a Main Cabin companion ticket, whereas the Reserve gets Main Cabin, Comfort+, or First Class companion ticket.  The latter can easily justify the AF difference, although it does stink that many of the routes I'd want to use that on have DeltaOne cabins instead of First Class.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats OP!!

I don't want to speak for OP, but without the Amex Platinum charge card, the difference in AF gets you Delta Sky Club access and a better Miles Boost and MQM bonus for spend.  Also, as I mentioned, I have a bit of app remorse since Platinum only gets a Main Cabin companion ticket, whereas the Reserve gets Main Cabin, Comfort+, or First Class companion ticket.  The latter can easily justify the AF difference, although it does stink that many of the routes I'd want to use that on have DeltaOne cabins instead of First Class.

Got it...not worth the AF for our type of flying.  We're currently happy with our AMEX Platinum and Delta Platinum Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats there!

Message 7 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats OP!!

The only thing I don't like about the companion certificate limitation is that the redemption must be in the lower 48 states. Because if they allowed travel to Hawaii with the certificate it would be a no-brainer for me. Even then I might think about it at least with getting the biz version so they're not reporting on my credit report.

Message 8 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats OP!!

The only thing I don't like about the companion certificate limitation is that the redemption must be in the lower 48 states. Because if they allowed travel to Hawaii with the certificate it would be a no-brainer for me. Even then I might think about it at least with getting the biz version so they're not reporting on my credit report.

We plan on using it for transcon flights (as in BOS/PVD/MHT to SFO/OAK/SJC, SEA, LAX) that take as long as flights to Europe so at least in this one case our value of the certificate might be a bit different.  If your SkyMiles mailing address is in HI, AK, PR, or USVI, you get a much better value since those residents do get to fly to and from the CONUS.  Not really fair to the rest of us since two Hawaiian residents could fly HNL-EWR in First Class for only about $2300 total!!!  Then again, we're relatively safe from lava and would it really be fair to only allow inter-island travel?

Message 9 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yes, our situations are different in that I live basically in the middle of the US so flights to most locations are 4 hours more or less. Your travels to the west coast for you and your family makes more sense with them being 7-8 hours depending on where you're going. Even then I have some (non)app regret when AMEX temporarily increased the offers on their Delta cards since the bonuses were nice. Maybe once they appear again we'll see. 👀
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.